Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   MCF Help & Suggestion Center (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/mcf-help-suggestion-center-7/)
-   -   Got a problem, looking for suggestions! (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/mcf-help-suggestion-center-7/got-problem-looking-suggestions-5833/)

nursecandy 10-27-2012 10:59 AM

Got a problem, looking for suggestions!

I have a 2008 mini cooper S, R56 with a disappearing coolant problem. Quite honestly I can't spare the big bucks it will cost to take it to a dealership to have it diagnosed, not the mention the nearest dealer is 100 miles away!
It started loosing coolant, slowly and with no obvious spots of fluid under the car, its driven 100 miles day and would require replacing about a quart of coolant almost daily. After doing some research, we bought and replaced the thermostat housing which had a thermostat and a temp sensor in it. It did ok for about a week, then suddenly coolant is POURING out. Ok, we figured a hose or bolt was loose, took it apart again and while we didn't find anything specific, we did replace hose clamps, tightened everything we could find. Now, its still loosing coolant, not as bad, but we cant find where its going, not majorly leaking though, AND the check engine is on (Glowing yellow, rather than red) and when checked, it codes something about the thermostat and its low on coolant???
I would so appreciate thoughts/suggestions while I come up with the money to spare to repair it. I hate going into a car repair shop with no clue as to what might be wrong with my vehicle, so I like to be prepared. And you know how car repair shops tend to treat a woman!
Thanks folks, I so appreciate your help!

PelicanParts.com 10-29-2012 11:47 AM

By chance, do you happen to have the code(s) for the check engine light?

nursecandy 11-01-2012 06:36 PM

No, I'm sorry, I do not know...Do you have any ideas? Maybe I put this in the wrong place, I've had only your response??

bad venge 11-02-2012 02:52 PM

most autoparts stores will scan the codes , the codes might give us a clue ...

where is it pouring out at ? leak from the housing you replaced ?

nursecandy 11-03-2012 11:35 AM

Yes, we had an autoparts store scan the code, I just didn't write it down, but I will try to do that. As for where the coolant was coming from, it was difficult to tell exactly, but it was very near the thermostat housing that we replaced. We have since gone back in and checked and tightened everything and replaced the clamps. Its not leaking really bad now, but coolant is still disappearing slowly...and the check engine light is still on.

I appreciate your help!

PelicanParts.com 11-05-2012 01:30 PM

Did you get any updates?

nursecandy 11-06-2012 05:25 AM

It is now only leaking slightly, and the check engine light is still on. Going to try and get the code today.

TurnMarshal 11-23-2012 09:24 PM

Check the oil to see if it looks like chocolate milk, so that would indicate a blown head gasket, or a cracked head. This is not Mini specific, just what happened to me when I lost coolant on another car.