Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Please help! (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/please-help-3495/)

mr_belvidere 09-21-2010 10:47 AM

Please help!

Hi, I finally paid off my '05 Mini Cooper S! I took it in for a check-up and found out it needs a new waterpump and control arm bushings. I already bit the costs for the new waterpump ($1300)... And although the control arm bushing is torn, I had to wait on repairs due to money or lack thereof. According to the Mini service center, it will cost me $900 bucks to get it replaced. Does anyone have any insight or been in a similar situation as this? I love my Mini; it's been nothing but a solid car to me thus far but I cannot believe the costs on these repairs. Maybe I'm being naive... Regardless, I'd love to hear to your thoughts.

Thanks.

excaliber 09-21-2010 04:22 PM

i'd find another dealer, you dont find a "bad waterpump" on a checkup, either it works or doesnt unless it had water coming out the weep hole, and you were having to add water,
their is no way to diagnose a water pump and say, it needs replaced,
as for the bushing, havent looked at one, I am still shopping for my first mini,
and I do all my own repair work, I have built several "american" engines so I got the tools, a shop, and can read a book, so I do all my own stuff like that, cant be more than hour job I would think. but I'd take it somewhere else and get a quote if it were me. that sounds stupid expensive unless they have to remove the engine or something stupid like that.
from the horror stories I have read on here the BMW dealers are the worse at sticking it to you, several stories on here like that. i.e. $25.00 to change wiper blades

bad venge 09-21-2010 05:04 PM

entire control arms are $300 with bushings I'd get a private shop to do the work ...
Detroit tuned was far cheaper then the dealer

mr_belvidere 09-22-2010 09:09 AM

Thanks for your input. I already replaced the waterpump - Apparently the coolant reserve was empty... They said it was vital to get it fixed, so I got it fixed. The part cost 300 and the labor was a 1000. They did have to take the engine out. As for the control arm, I'm nervous to get it fixed else where but I'll take it to another Mini dealership/service center and see what they say. The control arm part cost 100 and the labor is 800. For this, they said they had to take the front down? What are you guys' thoughts on this? Thanks!

Half BMW 09-23-2010 09:03 AM

I would listen to bad venge. Take your vehicle to an independent repair shop that caters to import owners. Parts and labor are usually cheaper.
There are two such shops here in Springfield, IL, which saves me the time, trouble, expense of driving to St. Louis, Chicago, or Indianapolis to a Mini dealer.
The same should be true for you.

mininre 09-28-2010 02:39 AM

I agree with Excalibre.!!!! Take it to another garage for a 2nd opnion :)

Welcome.

Lasttoy 07-29-2013 08:00 AM

i have a 2008, it is pouring water out of weep hole.. Dealer 1500.. locals 1300.. requires motor being removed..
Does anyone know where i can get the instructions. I will do it myself.. i have the tools just need to know the process so i dont get mad trying to pull motor out.
thanks in advance to anyone that offers help

teamslam1 07-29-2013 02:44 PM

Found a local reputable mechanic that has worked on Mini's before. I found this place just down the block from me on Yelp. Hope this helps.

ECSTuning 08-09-2013 01:17 PM

Lasttoy - Where is the leak, maybe I can help you, do you have a picture?

Thanks