Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Soon-to-be owner frustrated with dealers (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/soon-owner-frustrated-dealers-4630/)

Wilde Maus 07-21-2011 01:43 PM

Soon-to-be owner frustrated with dealers

Hi everyone. I am in the process of buying my very first Mini and I am so excited but also frustrated with the dealers. I built a 2011 mini and have been emailing different dealers (in Southern California) for quotes. The MSRP price on my car is $26,800 but I've been trying to get closer to the Edmunds True Market Value which is $25, 462. The problem is nobody wants to go there with me. So far the most I was able to get off is $500 off the MSRP. This whole process left me so frustrated that I don't even want to buy a car from a dealer anymore and just buy one used from a private person. Just wondering if people encountered similar problems and have been able to actually get the TMV price on a new car? Or am I reaching for the impossible?

One other thing that irks me is the labor fee that they charge for installing racing stripes and checkered dash. Like those things aren't overpriced enough.

:-(

bad venge 08-01-2011 08:00 PM

Almost ALL the dealers are straight msrp ... some take $1000 of while others give you $500 off and $500 in accessories

Wilde Maus 08-02-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 12665)
Almost ALL the dealers are straight msrp ... some take $1000 of while others give you $500 off and $500 in accessories

Yeah, that's pretty much what I came across. I ended up getting True Market Value at the end which was about $1300 off MSRP. But it wasn't easy. Most only wanted to give $500 off like you said.

Pinionone 08-02-2011 11:30 PM

Hello, I work for Mini of Portland and I have sold Mini's to very understanding customers happy to accept the $500 discount on remaining 2011 models. You must accept the fact you are interested in a car thats very high in demand and a car that is very desirable. No disrecpect intended here but If you are looking for $1,500 off a car buy a Toyota.

My advise is pick a model and color and go about enjoying the ownership. Life's to short.

Wilde Maus 08-03-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pinionone (Post 12694)
Hello, I work for Mini of Portland and I have sold Mini's to very understanding customers happy to accept the $500 discount on remaining 2011 models. You must accept the fact you are interested in a car thats very high in demand and a car that is very desirable. No disrecpect intended here but If you are looking for $1,500 off a car buy a Toyota.

My advise is pick a model and color and go about enjoying the ownership. Life's to short.

Thanks, but just because a car is in high demand and very desirable, doesn't mean that you can't try and negotiate a better price. At the end of the day (or month I should say) the dealer still wants to sell that car and make a deal. The Edmunds True Market value calculates what others are paying for a Mini in my area. (it's based on actual sales data from my region). It's not just some made up price. If that price ends up being $1400 off MSRP, than that's the price I am gonna try and get. If your customers are happy with $500 off, than that's fine. But I wasn't gonna be happy knowing that others in my area got the TMV price and I didn't. I am sure the dealer still makes a good amount of money on the car even if he sells it for TMV price. I ended up finding 2 dealers who were willing to give me the TMV price on a 2012 model, so obviously it is possible.

Mini angel 08-06-2011 01:04 AM

Good for you Wilde Maus. I just got my mini four weeks ago and started in Ontario ca and ended up going to San Diego cause they wouldn't do a dealer trade even after Ontario agreed to a price. Stick to your guns. We did and I got my dream car and the exact price and payment I wanted. I know it must be frustrating right now if you haven't gotten one yet but it's all worth it in the end. If you can make it to San Diego talk to Iyshia.

Wilde Maus 08-06-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mini angel (Post 12719)
Good for you Wilde Maus. I just got my mini four weeks ago and started in Ontario ca and ended up going to San Diego cause they wouldn't do a dealer trade even after Ontario agreed to a price. Stick to your guns. We did and I got my dream car and the exact price and payment I wanted. I know it must be frustrating right now if you haven't gotten one yet but it's all worth it in the end. If you can make it to San Diego talk to Iyshia.

That's awesome Mini angel. Glad you got your dream car for the price you wanted. Funny that you mentioned San Diego, because that's where I ended up getting mine from. San Diego rocks and they have the best reviews on Yelp of all the dealerships in So. Cal. They are also enrolled in the Costco Auto program that offers special pricing to members. Can't wait to get mine. :-)

Mini angel 08-06-2011 10:37 AM

Yeah!!!!! Yeah San Diego rocked it! hopefully you will get it soon and start enjoying being a mini owner. congrats again.