Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   What is the deal with negotiating price on a new Mini? (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/what-deal-negotiating-price-new-mini-522/)

kelb 07-29-2007 08:15 AM

What is the deal with negotiating price on a new Mini?

We have just started looking at Mini's, but were hooked with one test drive.
Question for those who have bought new 06 or 07 Mini'sif you are willing to answer...
Were you able to negotiate anything off the sticker price of your Mini? We are working with a very laid back sales rep who claims Mini dealers never negotiate because they dont have to, and Mini sells every car it ships to US without incentives yada yada.
Is this for real?

We are in PA/NJ area and the new Mini S models we like are stickered at $23,000 - $24,400.

PlentyofRoom 08-01-2007 02:01 PM

RE: What is the deal with negotiating price on a new Mini?

We are looking at an 07 cooper S in the nashville area. With a couple of options its coming in at around 25.5k. Our dealer seems the same as yours. Very friendly and informative but says they don't deal at all in regards to price. They sell at MSRP with a 300$ processing fee. When we told him we weren't looking to spend that much, he suggested going used.

I really don't think they budge on price.

focal_21 08-01-2007 07:09 PM

I bought mine used (2003 with 32000 miles) a year ago from a mini dealer. I paid 17000...they were asking 19000. they said they would only go down to 18500. the rep asked what I wanted to pay I told him 17. he said no way. so I left. he called me 15 minutes later and said I could have it for 17

PlentyofRoom 08-02-2007 11:52 AM

I think it's going to be a lot different with cars on the lot, particularly used ones. Those cars are sitting there, costing the dealer money. We were at the dealer 2 seperate times for about 30 minutes each visit. They sold about 2-3 cars each time in that 30 minute window. I think they're serious when they say they won't budge on the price of a new one.

That is, of course, if they haven't marked it up from MSRP.

STYX 08-20-2007 05:43 PM

Ran into the same thing here in Cincinnati. Purchased an 07 S John Cooper. No discount at all. We were at the dealer for 45 min. The show room is large. We saw 5 deals close! No pressure from any salesperson, and at full sticker!!!!!!! I wish our business could do that.

We love our Mini S…..though it only has 200 miles on it.
OBTW…. We are getting 26.9 MPG so far on the first tank. More then we were hoping for!!!

SuperMINI 09-04-2007 09:07 AM

I just bought 9/1 a fully loaded Cooper S CONVERTIBLE at a $500 discount from MSRP.
It was not cheap at $30,950 after discount. (I was told they do not discount, but I got up to leave)
Full Performance, Convenience, Chronograph, Sport Packages with BMW alarm and ipod adapter.
I have not been this excited since my first car.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

giancola 09-07-2007 07:49 AM

Just bought an 07 at Mini of Dallas. Was not able to negotiate. Even though this was very uncommon, I was actually much more at ease during the process. It was when I hit the Finance Dept. when I was pressured for more stuff (extended warranty, special paint coating, paintless dent removal plan, and a few other things).... I declined them all with noted resistance from the rep. The dealer quoted me exactly what the MINIUSA.COM site suggests.

mmfire 11-15-2008 11:18 AM

STOP PAYING MSRP

I was told the same thing multiple times by multiple dealers. Only one dealer agreed immediately to knocking $500 off the car. So I got that in writing, and made sure all delivery charges and everything was included. The total from non-negotiating dealers was around $30300 and the other dealership told me 29818. So I shared this with another dealership who had previously refused to deal with me at all (3 hours trying to negotiate). The came back with 29880 … only slightly above. I then was contacted by two other dealers whom I had been trying to work with previously but was told "NO DEALS … all of our cars sell at MSRP." Both dealers said they'd match the 29818 and they'd give me a 40% discount on accessories. SOLD!

And all of this was on a custom order! Everyone wants to play like they don't need the sale, but they want it, and they'll make it happen if they know.

Datalore 12-03-2008 05:18 PM

RE: STOP PAYING MSRP

Yeah working through dealerships, there is not much wiggle room.

I got a great deal through my friend who buys/sells for a living. He had access to dealer auctions and listings. We found a repossessed 07 Cooper S, with like 30k miles on it. For really really cheap.

don't cry

$11,200

I got very lucky on mine.