Go Back   Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums > Mini Cooper Vehicles > 07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Default Hot Bonnet Scoop

Hi, I have had my '07 Mini Cooper S for 1 week and absolutely love it. I have noticed tho that the bonnet scoop gets extremely hot after driving. As this appears to be a fiberglass piece has anyone noticed any damage or deformation due to heat or is this normal? Just seems out of the ordinary that you can't even touch it and leave your hand on it or it would burn you.Other than that all has been great.
__________________
minigirl
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location:
Posts: 13
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop

Given that your MINI is so new, I assume it has the rectangular openings inside the scoop? Mine does also, but still gets very hot...I allow plenty of cooling time before washing! I've heard of warping issues, but I think it is a bigger problem with the earlier builds that have the scoops completely closed off.
__________________
Mark S. - 2007 MCS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location:
Posts: 451
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop

My scoop has a big hole in it... is there something wrong with it?

Anyways, I think you'll be fine... turbos make it very hot under the hood, I'm sure they planned for it.
__________________
[center]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location:
Posts: 13
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop

Quote:
ORIGINAL: amg6975

My scoop has a big hole in it... is there something wrong with it?
For goodness sakes, stuff a rag in that thing before all the heat gets out!!!
__________________
Mark S. - 2007 MCS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop

This is one thing that confuses me. Why is the scoop fake for the new model year? I saw in a review by Fifth Gear (not Top Gear) on youtube, and on Edmunds that it is fake. I know it has to be there to keep the look, but wouldnt it be better if if was actualy functional? Maybe it isnt necessary, but wouldnt it cool just that much better? if so, would it be safe and effective to make it a "true" hood scoop and does anyone know how if it does seem like it would make a difference at all?

I know its a small thing but i would feel kinda lame with something fake on my car. like those ricer boys with the wings that dont actually do anything.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location:
Posts: 13
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Byssus02

This is one thing that confuses me. Why is the scoop fake for the new model year? I saw in a review by Fifth Gear (not Top Gear) on youtube, and on Edmunds that it is fake. I know it has to be there to keep the look, but wouldnt it be better if if was actualy functional? Maybe it isnt necessary, but wouldnt it cool just that much better? if so, would it be safe and effective to make it a "true" hood scoop and does anyone know how if it does seem like it would make a difference at all?

I know its a small thing but i would feel kinda lame with something fake on my car. like those ricer boys with the wings that dont actually do anything.
I agree, a fake scoop is an abomination! The supercharged cars benefited from the scoop, but a turbocharged engine won't take advantage of any "ram air" effect. The only real reason for the scoop on the R56 is for cooling...and apparently the MINI folks didn't pick up on that until well into production! My thinking is that they should have done away with the scoop, and replaced it with a slight bulge, perhaps opened near the windshield for cooling. Just my opinion.
__________________
Mark S. - 2007 MCS
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location:
Posts: 451
Default RE: Hot Bonnet Scoop


Quote:
ORIGINAL: VeryRedMCS

I agree, a fake scoop is an abomination!* The supercharged cars benefited from the scoop, but a turbocharged engine won't take advantage of any "ram air" effect.* The only real reason for the scoop on the R56 is for cooling...and apparently the MINI folks didn't pick up on that until well into production!* My thinking is that they should have done away with the scoop, and replaced it with a slight bulge, perhaps opened near the windshield for cooling.* Just my opinion.
Actually, it's not ram air at all, on the R53 the intercooler is below it. You R56 guys have your intercooler in the front making the scoop unless but they left it there so it would look the same.

To answer the original question, I don't know if you can take out the plastic piece that blocks the airflow or not. You should some investigating and get back to us.
__________________
[center]
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
07, 2007, bonnet, cooper, coopers, fake, functional, hood, hot, intake, mini, r56, scoop, scoops, warping


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.