07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Cooper replacing rear brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Default '08 Cooper replacing rear brake pads

I was able to replace the front pads with no difficulty.
On the rear, I can't push the piston back into the caliper. There appears to be more than the normal resistance, and I don't want to force it and damage something.
I'm using a modified large "C" clamp to push with.
The parking brake was actuated several times, and each time, it pushed the piston further out of the caliper. There appears to be some sort of ratcheting screw jack mechanism in the caliper itself which won't allow the piston to retract.
I've tried opening the bleeder, but relieving hydraulic pressure doesn't get the job done.
My car is dead in the driveway at the moment with the right rear caliper removed.
I called Orlando Mini and spoke with their service advisor. He was basically no help at all.
HELP!!!!!
Thanks!
Bob Cowgill
Mims, Florida

Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Default How do I reset the brake pad warning indicator?

Thanks to you folks, and the caliper tool from Out Motoring, the pads and new sensors are in.
Now, can anyone tell me how to reset the car to turn off the "Brake pads are at minimum thickness" message?
I called the Mini dealer, and he said they wouldn't tell me how to do it.
BUT, if I brought the car to them to "let them inspect it and see if I did the job properly($$$$$$), THEY would reset it!
Sort of defeats the purpose of DIY!
Bob

Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM

Hope you turned the front and rear rotors. If not, you've likely just wasted a lot of money on new pads and will have to replace them in the not to distant future.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Default Resetting brake pad warning message

Mr. Kart,
When trying to decide whether to tackle the brake job myself, I contacted our local Mini dealer to see what services they would perform, and what the costs were.
I specifically asked about turning the rotors. They replied that they do NOT turn the rotors, but they DO "inspect" them, and, if necessary, they replace them (for another $499 per axle, please!).
The pedal was not pulsing, nor was the vehicle pulling to one side or the other in braking.
So, based on what Mini said, and what I observed in driving the car, I did not have the rotors turned.
In years past, on other cars, turning the rotors would have been a normal part of the procedure, but I guess in this "disposable" age, you just buy everything new rather than fixing what you have.
BTW, I STILL need instructions on resetting the brake pad warning message.
Bob

Originally Posted by Turbo-Go-Kart
Hope you turned the front and rear rotors. If not, you've likely just wasted a lot of money on new pads and will have to replace them in the not to distant future.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM

I specifically asked about turning the rotors. They replied that they do NOT turn the rotors, but they DO "inspect" them, and, if necessary, they replace them (for another $499 per axle, please!).
I'm glad you asked Mini. I'd love to say I'm surprised of the "throw away" thing, but unfortunately I totally agree with you.

I only made my comment because I've seen so many people ruin a perfectly good brake job because they didn't know any better.

Sorry I can't help on the reset.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Default Throw away society and resetting the alerts

T.G.K.,
Yes, it is sad that things are now made so that servicing them has become a thing of the past.
As for the reset, I did find the (complicated!) procedure on another website and now everything is back to normal on the Mini.
Bob