07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 MINI Cooper S - Crushed Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 02:44 PM
Default 2012 MINI Cooper S - Crushed Oil Filter

Hi Everyone!
I need some diagnostic assistance! My 2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe with 20,000 miles on it recently produced both a check engine light and an oil pressure indicator light. Took it to my mechanic, who was obtaining codes for variable oil pressure (both high and low pressure). He decided to look at the oil filter, and when he opened the housing, the oil filter was crushed from side-to-side. I had previously changed the oil myself, and I know that it was installed correctly. He changed the oil, oil filter and oil filter housing, and he commented that the oil was sludge-like when he changed it. During my previous oil change, the old oil looked fine and flowed effortlessly from the oil pan.

The problem was not resolved by changing the oil, oil filter, and oil filter housing. Oil pressure is still reading high at times and low at other times.

I read a post indicating that the oil pan is improperly designed on this R56 MINI, and that the oil in the sump under the oil pump therefore never fully changes out during an oil change. Over time, it can therefore turn to sludge that when finally dislodged, can flow to the oil filter housing and cause excessive internal pressure that crushes the filter. Has anyone experienced this situation?

Also, could it be the oil pressure switch and/or oil pump? I'm at a loss (and apparently, so is my mechanic of 35 years, who has done great work for me in the past, but hasn't yet taken further action).

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you might have!

Frank