07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Hardtop S gas tank won't fill

Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Default 2016 Hardtop S gas tank won't fill

Two nights ago my low gas light came on so I stopped by Costco to get gas, it took less than half gallon and stopped as if the tank was full. I tried different pump and still the same. I drove home and try to fill with my lawn mover gas container, again, it took some then won't take anymore gas and starting to spill out. I had to drive down to TX the next day so I didn't have time to bring it to the shop. Does anyone had this happened before and what causes it? Mine is 2016 hardtop S with around 28k miles on it.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Default Tank filling issue

Originally Posted by srsstvs View Post
Two nights ago my low gas light came on so I stopped by Costco to get gas, it took less than half gallon and stopped as if the tank was full. I tried different pump and still the same. I drove home and try to fill with my lawn mover gas container, again, it took some then won't take anymore gas and starting to spill out. I had to drive down to TX the next day so I didn't have time to bring it to the shop. Does anyone had this happened before and what causes it? Mine is 2016 hardtop S with around 28k miles on it.
Id say your gas tank vent valve is stuck closed. Its usually operated by a solenoid. I had this happen to me on another vehicle but all the evap systems are similar. Should still be under warranty and you should have the check engine light with this problem.