07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACK! I'm Scared! What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Default ACK! I'm Scared! What do I do?

I have ordered my 08 MCS manual tranny and it is almost here. BUT... Now I've been reading several blogs where I see these stories about clutches failing at 30K miles and trannies dying and brake jobs for $1200, etc. Is this very common? Are these the rare exceptions? Please help!! Is the Mini a reliable car? I'm used to Japanese cars that you put gas in and drive for 150K miles without any major repairs but I really like the character of the Mini. Thanks to everyone!! Ed

Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Default RE: ACK! I'm Scared! What do I do?

Mini makes a reliable vehicle. I wouldn't lose any sleep over a blog from a guy blowing his clutch after 30K miles. He was probably an idiot driver who would have blown a clutch on a Honda just as quickly.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM

sorry to say but the tranny's are not the best, we replace clutches in these frequently R50-R56. The good news is that it will be covered under warranty. As for MINI being a reliable vehicle, spend a week at our dealership and you will change your mind

Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 AM

A friend of mine has an R56 with 60K on the same clutch. Of course, the life of a clutch depends on how well it has been driven. Someone who doesn't know how to drive and rides the clutch will wear it out quickly. Also, if people are racing/autocrossing that will be much harder on the clutch.

The R57 has an upgraded clutch/tranny so I would suspect that the tranny/clutch will be a lot more reliable. That and you are covered with tranny/brakes...etc...for the next 3 years. Worst come to worse get the extended warranty.

ANY...ANY car will have issues...I've owned several Toyotas and Lexus (2 IS300 and IS350) and each one of them had minor issues. However, my last IS300 blew a motor at 60K miles and it was nothing but a daily driver. To make it worse, the transmission was replaced under warranty at 30K miles. My 96 landcruiser had a number of electrical problems as well.

Is the mini going to be more or less reliable? I doubt it...I'd say about the same. As with ANY car you will most likely have some issues but anyone telling you that every Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc...etc... is going to be problem free is full of crap.

Drive the car properly, take care of it, and perform the maintenance and you will be fine. I would recommend the extended warranty though...better to have things covered than to end up paying $6000 like I did to replace a motor that blew for a reason the dealer couldn't even figure out.

Good luck and don't worry...just drive the car properly (ie...don't ride the clutch) and you'll be fine. Getrag is an amazing tranny, I had one in my 1997 Anniversary Supra Twin turbo which was modified to over 600RWHP and still never had a single issue with the tranny, I did upgrade the clutch to hold the power but even the stock clutch was fine with racing/drag racing miles. It's all on how you drive the car.

Good luck

-Chris

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: MINIofANNAPOLIS

sorry to say but the tranny's are not the best, we replace clutches in these frequently R50-R56. The good news is that it will be covered under warranty. As for MINI being a reliable vehicle, spend a week at our dealership and you will change your mind
Keep one thing in mind...go to ANY maker's service bay and you will think twice about any car so I'm not sure what your point is.

I think there's a reason toyota, honda, etc...have service departments...all of them break down at some point. If you know of a magical vehicle that doesn't let me know...techs I know that work for toyota, honda, lexus tell me different stories...then again, you're seeing the cars that have problems VS the ones that don't. Either way, no car is bullet proof.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM

You are right chis. Put my 20 year old son in ANY car, and he can ruin it. There isn't a clutch made that he couldn't ruin in short order too, even a wet clutch on a dirtbike. (Maybe that is why he can ride circles around me.)
Not to say my son is an idiot driver..... Well, maybe I am saying that.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: cougsfan

You are right chis. Put my 20 year old son in ANY car, and he can ruin it. There isn't a clutch made that he couldn't ruin in short order too, even a wet clutch on a dirtbike. (Maybe that is why he can ride circles around me.)
Not to say my son is an idiot driver..... Well, maybe I am saying that.
I read over some of the complaints on the consumer site and some were valid however, there were a lot of complaints that were mostly "opinions" VS any detail on what exactly happend. Instead, you have people who post up and complain about every little problem.

Thanks cougsfan, I race motorcycles and you are 100% correct...given improper driving/riding a clutch can be worn out within minutes.

I cannot say whether the R56 will be reliable however, I think BMW/MINI have gone in the right direction and addressed issues. Also, from what I have read on various sites, MINI has gotten more and more reliable each year. To be accurate...the way to go is to document problems and get actual data rather than opinions from people who are disgruntled.

Here is the site referenced: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/mini.html

First thing to notice are the years mentioned. Second item to notice is the fact that the clutch which is a wear item is brought up over and over. Watching people drive daily I hear people riding the clutch all the time, improper shifts...etc...etc so none of this surprises me. That and the fact that I know 3 people who have well over 60k miles on 03 mini's with no issues...but then again I know that they can drive a manual car properly.

From what MINIof ANNAPOLIS said, sure...spend time in any service area and you will doubt the MINI...and any other car. I currently own a 2007 FJ cruiser and already I have heard some horror stories...does that worry me? Not really...I've heard them with every single car. I don't expect the MINI to be perfect but then again...I have yet to see any other car that is.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: chris410
Drive the car properly, take care of it, and perform the maintenance and you will be fine. I would recommend the extended warranty though...better to have things covered than to end up paying $6000 like I did to replace a motor that blew for a reason the dealer couldn't even figure out.
Good luck
-Chris
I agree completely, except try to get the extended warranty just before your normal one runs out. This way you save like 1k. Also, I think the current warranty is4 years long, with therotors brakes oil changes and clutchescovered for the first 3,and everything else for 4 years, no?

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 PM

Do some investigating on websites like consumerreports.com and you'll see that there is no brand of car that is significantly better than any other wrt maintenance.

Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, BMW - they all have service departments and parts counters.

My "world class" toyota van doesn't run any better than my "quality is job one" Ford Truck (in fact, it may be worse). I suspect my Mini will have a problem or two. It's a mechanical device... it will break sooner or later.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

I feel that htis is not a fair assessment... I as well have Ordered a MCS w/ MT6 tranny... I work at an Audi Dealership as a sales manager and working in the industry makes you feel like all cars do is break. Now please keep in mind that working at a dealership all you see is cars being sold and fixed so you tend to see only cars that need service....