07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biggest qualm with 07's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Default biggest qualm with 07's...

[align=left]my biggest qualm with the 07's mcs is the engine noise at idle. it is a turbo..but damn it makes a somewhat of a wierd noise... the kind of noise that a 1985 ford taurus makes that is on it's last leg. But this noise is common in the 07 mcs, i made the dealer that sold me mine start a few of other cars to see if it is in all of them. and it is.

anybody have anything to say about that???
[/align]

Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Default RE: biggest qualm with 07's...

Do you hear the sound when inside the car, or just when standing outside as it idles? Does it persist after warm-up? Wow, that Taurus comparison is disturbing...I know that sound! I've only had my '07 for a week, and honestly say I haven't noticed it, but I'm going to have a listen.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM

the sound is during idle and intensifies when accelerating. but after about a half of a second it dissapates...
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

Are you talking about what sounds like valve clatter ? If so that's just the direct injectors working. Sounds noisey but they are working fine if that's the noise you hear.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 PM

I thought the same thing, except i thought of an '80's Mercedes-Bezn Diesel! I have a theory...........I drive a GTO and my wife recently got a, 07 MCS........the GTO has small-block push-rod V8 and the Mini has an overhead cam motor. I thnk maybe the cam in the head (rather than burried in the block), directly actuating the valves, might have some to do with it... no?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

The noise is the direct injection. It is not valve noise. I have an 1984 toyota truck with direct injection and she sounds the same today as she did when I bought her in 84, just likemy cooper. If the direct injection on my cooper works as well and trouble free as it has on my truck, I'll be a happy man. 284,000 miles without any engine issues.

Use a good brand of gas (Chevron, Exxon, Shell, Mobil) stay away from wantabies like (Entec, Citgo, Phillips, off brands). If you will use a good brand you should never have injector issues. My old truck speaks for herself.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I have a 07 MCS Turbo. I never noticed the engine noise in summer . i think it is a cold start up noise after it is warmed up it sounds normal . I wish we had a temp guage. I dont like getting on a engine till it is warmed up .

John