07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a leak cause jumpy transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Default Can a leak cause jumpy transmission?

Hello guys!

So I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S right now. It just hit 69,000 miles. I took it in to the dealer a few weeks ago because it seemed to be leaking oil (I was empty after 3,000 miles) so I wanted them to look at it. They told me that my oil filter housing gaskets, oil pan gasket, vacuum pump, water pump, and turbo feed lines are all leaking. They estimated around $3000 before tax to fix everything. Since I don't love the car that much, I can't really justify spending that much to fix it so I decided I would sell it as-is instead.

But yesterday, I was driving and the transmission got really jumpy when it was switching gears. It would start jerking a lot when trying to switch gears around 30 mph. And one time it made a really loud popping noise and then finally switched and kept going. It was really scary to drive it! My boyfriend thinks it might be that air is getting through the hole that is leaking and causing it to jump.

I don't want to sell it unless I know everything that's wrong with the car so I can be upfront with the buyer. I was just wondering if anyone has had this jumpy transmission problem before. I took it in to the dealer once a while back for this problem and they first told me it was normal because it "has so much torque." But then they couldn't replicate the problem when they test drove it. It happens very sporadically.

Thank you guys!