07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a new 08 Cooper S battery need to be registered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Default Does a new 08 Cooper S battery need to be registered?

My 08 Cooper S needs a new battery. Went to the dealer to buy one and they told me it would need to be registered (programmed) to the car at a cost of $480 (including battery)! Is this true for my model? I thought I could just pick up a battery and put it in myself but they say I can't.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 AM

I did the same on my 2008 S, but I have a scan tool and was able to register it within minutes. Without registering it, you may have a few issues that don't self correct, such as date/time memory loss, and other things that require minimal battery power, but the computer has blocked, to reserve power for unlocking and starting the car

Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Default Code reader

I don’t suppose you used a $20 Walmart scanner like mine. If I understand you correctly, I’ll lose some functionality if I change battery myself. So it’s either enrich the dealership or pony up for appropriate scan tool. Any suggestion for a scanner that won’t break the bank?

2013 S

Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Default My solution.

Originally Posted by Phaedrus
I don’t suppose you used a $20 Walmart scanner like mine. If I understand you correctly, I’ll lose some functionality if I change battery myself. So it’s either enrich the dealership or pony up for appropriate scan tool. Any suggestion for a scanner that won’t break the bank?

2013 S
I did wind up buying a $260 scan tool. I coincidently had a check engine light come on, on my Ridgeline.
it was well worth it. Registering the Mini battery made all the difference! My power mirrors also work correctly now as well, and I saved money on the Honda as well.... however, now I’m the ‘go to’ guy for all my friends .. lol. Good luck!!

Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 AM
Default Scan tool

I purchased the scan tool at Advance Auto. In my case, it paid for itself😉

Old 08-08-2020, 06:33 AM
Default Big money

Originally Posted by Bobby Briggs
I purchased the scan tool at Advance Auto. In my case, it paid for itself😉
Thanks for your quick reply. I found a Foxwell T510 elite for $179. But I will also look at advance auto before I pull the trigger.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by jokerlola
My 08 Cooper S needs a new battery. Went to the dealer to buy one and they told me it would need to be registered (programmed) to the car at a cost of $480 (including battery)! Is this true for my model? I thought I could just pick up a battery and put it in myself but they say I can't.
Any garage with a scan tool can ‘register’ your new battery. I did mine in under 10 minutes. Don’t let the dealers scam you

Old 08-08-2020, 06:40 AM
Default New battery

Originally Posted by Bobby Briggs
Any garage with a scan tool can ‘register’ your new battery. I did mine in under 10 minutes. Don’t let the dealers scam you
All the ‘registering’ does is tell the onboard computer to rescan and acknowledge the new battery and reset to allow all functions to work once again

Old 08-08-2020, 07:14 AM

I owe you a pizza

Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 AM

Is this the one you bought at Advance Auto Parts? Innova CarScan Pro

Quick Reply: Does a new 08 Cooper S battery need to be registered?