07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Know what to order!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Default Don't Know what to order!

Hey guys, I'm new in the MC forums.

I am going to order a new Mini before this summer, hoping it will arrive before the end of august. I have no idea what to buy. I like the cooper, but I love the blacked out grille, hood scoop, and dual exhaust on the cooper S. Other than that, I like the cooper just as much. Is the cooper (non S) fun to drive still? I went to the dealership saturday, but didnt get to test drive one. I LOVE the interior on them. Any advice? is it worth the cutback on the MPG (and a few thousand bucks extra cost) just to get the S? Please help! Thanks!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Don't Know what to order!

There ain't no one that can answer that question but you. The Mini is definately fun to drive. It is not nearly as fast as the Mini S, but still it handles great and is truely a neat little car. It doesn't have the status of an "S". To some people that is very important. Others could care less about that. I guess it comes down to if you are looking for fun basic transportation, and money is a real world concern, get a Mini. If you want a car that really gets it on, or if your aim is to impress kids down at the local pool hall, get a Mini S.
Most people who aren't paying for the car will tell you to get the Mini S. Why would they not, it is not their hard earned money. But in their defense, other than that few thousand bucks, there ain't too many downsides in buying the S.
MPG is mostly a function of how you drive. Both can get pretty good milage. It is easier to get better gas milage with the Mini and easier to get worse gas milage with the Mini S. I wouldn't let milage be the major force the decision.
Drive them both and price them out with the options you want and make up your mind. In truth, the luxury options you choose make as much of a difference as that little "S" does. Think carefully about giving up options you want just to afford an S if it comes down to that. Whatever you do, be happy with your decision and don't second guess yourself. Don't make a hasty decision only to regret not getting the "other" Mini later for whatever your reasons.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Default RE: Don't Know what to order!

I bought my wife a 2007 non-S model, it is perfect for her, gets 32 MPG always(even with auto),and has had not a single problem in 10 months since we bought it. No, it is not that fast, but the handling is better than most cars, it still feels like a go cart. It cruises effortlessly here on the Autobahn at 100-110MPH all the time and still gets 25 MPG. Either way, you will love this car.
Jack in Bavaria