07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender trim damage - beware!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Default Fender trim damage - beware!!!

I recently found a drip stain on the front driver's side fender trim (black plastic). I thought it was tree sap, but found it impossible to remove. I went to the dealer when I realized the "drip" was coming from the bonnet. There is a substance called "Cosmoline", which is sprayed between the bonnet's two panels to prevent corrosion. When the car is baking in the sun, this substance starts to flow, and drips onto the trim right above the front wheel.

The service rep here in Portland at Rasmussen MINI says she is hearing more and more of this from 07 and up owners. She is trying to get MINI to own up to issue and replace the trim gratis. Be careful with your car!! Open the hood and look for a grease-like substance oozing out from between the bonnet panels right over the wheel well (look for the circular opening near the bonnet's edge. Make sure to wipe that hole clean!! I'm thinking of sealing it with some silicone. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the problem spot.

My BRG MCS is a phenominal car, and I love it, but this silliness is pissing me off! This problem should be a non issue on a $30,000 car. Keep an eye on your Cooper!!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Default RE: Fender trim damage UPDATE

It looks like MINI is a stand up company. They're replacing the tirm at no cost.
The answer from MINI is that this Cosmoline stuff can get a bit runny when the car sits in extreme heat for the first time.
It was 105 degrees here in Portlaand about 5 weeks ago, and that's when it started.

So if your car is new, keep an eye on the bonnet's underside near the wheel well trim, and wipe out the Cosmoline BEFORE it drips on the plastic.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 PM

I've got the same grease-material slowly leaking out from the corners of the bonnet - on both sides of the car. I've been able to clean it off, but it's very frustrating to have it leaking out.

I've had it leaking out, slowly, for more than two months.

I don't see any damage to the plastic, just slime. I'll talk to the dealership when I take it in for service.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've noticed the very same problem and wondered what was causing that. That's good to know they'll replace it. I just bought my car in May. This will be the third issue (however small) that I've had with my mini since I bought it. Frustrating to say the least. Love the car otherwise!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Default RE: Fender trim damage - beware!!!

I am so glad you brought this up. I have a mark on both my right and left fender that won't come off. I picked up my Mini from Rasmussen in Portland on July 19th, 2008. Who should I talk to there? Sara?? or the service department?

Thanks!!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:12 PM

I have since talked to Rasmussen Mini about the stains on my black trim. I was told that something called "Mr. Clean magic Eraser" will take it off, and that by no means will Mini replace the black trim. I have yet to find this stuff, but am willing to give it a try. I will let ya'll know how it goes!

Still LOVE my mini!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 AM

this stuff not only on the bonnet, but is also on the door panels and the boot as well. looks yellow n waxy.