07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to jump battery and now no power when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Default Had to jump battery and now no power when accelerating

Well I got in my car this morning and tried to start the car. It clicked a couple times and nothing. I jumped the battery and it fired right up. Let it idle some and started off to work. The fasten seatbelt indicator was on, even though I was buckled in. When I accelerate the car does not move. if I feather the throttle it will accelerate a little, but if I press it more nothing, no acceleration.

It ran fine last night, then this morning a almost dead battery and no acceleration. I am thinking the battery is on its way out and everything dosent have enough power to operate correctly. I will check the volts when I get home and see if its the alternator or the battery.

This is just strange. Even my E46 didn't do this when the battery was low and needed replacing.

Thinking about this, it kind of reminds me of when a turbo went out in my 300zx twin turbo. It would idle, but when I would accelerate no air would go thru the seized turbo causing no acceleration.

Anything I should check?

Last edited by Fixture; 07-03-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Exclamation Help!

Did you ever figure out exactly what was wrong? My R58 is now doing the same exact thing!

[QUOTE=Fixture;26529]Well I got in my car this morning and tried to start the car. It clicked a couple times and nothing. I jumped the battery and it fired right up. Let it idle some and started off to work. The fasten seatbelt indicator was on, even though I was buckled in. When I accelerate the car does not move. if I feather the throttle it will accelerate a little, but if I press it more nothing, no acceleration.

It ran fine last night, then this morning a almost dead battery and no acceleration. I am thinking the battery is on its way out and everything dosent have enough power to operate correctly. I will check the volts when I get home and see if its the alternator or the battery.

This is just strange. Even my E46 didn't do this when the battery was low and needed replacing.

Thinking about this, it kind of reminds me of when a turbo went out in my 300zx twin turbo. It would idle, but when I would accelerate no air would go thru the seized turbo causing no acceleration.

Anything I should check?

Old 10-24-2020, 02:25 AM

It seems the Mini is VERY touchy to low voltage from the battery. More so than any other car I have ever worked on. Also they are pretty finicky to be jumped of. There is a possibility of a jump burning out the Footwell Module. It you have to jump the car off and all of a sudden you lights don't work right and your windows don't roll up or down you probably have a bad FWM.