Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56) (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/)
-   -   Have Run Flats, but want standard tires (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/07-up-mini-cooper-cooper-s-r56-31/have-run-flats-but-want-standard-tires-2415/)

Swoops 09-12-2009 02:45 PM

Have Run Flats, but want standard tires

I got my 2009 S last November, and I've scrubbed off all the tread on my factory Dunlops, and need new skins now. OMG!!! I'm looking at $1,200 to replace the factory run flats. This brings me to my question. How does the factory donut tire mount under the car? When I peek under there, I can't help bun notice an exhaust system in the way. Has anyone switched to standard tires, and come up with a solution for carrying a spare?

bad venge 09-12-2009 04:13 PM

I carry a Plug kit , an Air compressor , a bottle of tire sealant , and a AAA Card ...
If I can't fix it roadside , call AAA for a tow

cjmadura 10-28-2009 09:47 PM

Less than a year and no tread left? It sounds like your mighty MINI will have a hard, and maybe short life. Anyway, I would go with Bad Venge's advice. The "S" has no place to stow a spare, save for behind the rear seat (goodbye clean storage space). I'm sure when my tires need replacing I'll go with standard tires and a fix-it kit. Most flats are easily fixed roadside with a plug kit and an portable air compressor (a la Porsche).

Of course, I can't even remember the last time I had a flat.

Don't kick your car's *ss too hard. I wonder about the durability of MINI's. They're great cars, but flogging them is a sure way of guaranteeing high costs down the road.

Mr.Ghost 10-30-2009 12:26 AM

I had the run flats on my 07 but as soon as I could afford to loose them I did. The were OK, a little rough, but my mini has a spare and I prefer normal tires, people have been using them for years. Oh, I also bought the new ones from firestone and get free flat repairs, rotation, and balancing anytime. I was also able to change the size to a little wider.

Even with the run flats on, I had over 10 flats, where I had to continually get them fixed. Yes, they stayed afloat but it was only a temporary solution. SoCal highways are notorious for screws, nails, and trucks carrying rocks!

lawddf 11-04-2009 12:41 PM

I replaced the run flats with regular tires. Much cheaper. I carry a small air compressor and a tire repair kit. You could pay for several roadside repairs with the difference in money for the tires.

Red Pedro 12-31-2009 08:59 PM

Want to go wwider than stock

I'm on my 2nd MCS and want again to go away from run flats. I am running the stock 205/45/17's and want to change to a 215 or 225. Has anyone done this and been successful ? On my first 2002 MCS I changed to 205's traditionals and liked the change - bought the air compressor and tire repair can. :confused:

bad venge 12-31-2009 09:31 PM

I'm running 215/50/17's they fill the wheel wells nicely

Red Pedro 01-01-2010 07:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback ! So I assume no rubbing when cornering. I want to use the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport can you tell me what you went with?
THANKS
Rob

bad venge 01-01-2010 08:00 PM

I'm running toyo proxes summer tires and toyo observe 2s for winter

GradyCooper 01-13-2010 08:08 PM

No Tread/ No Spare

I had the same problem. I had my MINI for about a year and destroyed the treads on the run-flats on the great little roads outside of Boulder. The run-flats MINI offers on their cars are a joke. Replace them with some regular tires and get a can of fix-a-flat. The ride will be better (you won't feel like your about to skip across the highway when it rains). Well worth it. I picked-up some Bridgestone Potenzas for less than $500 and I love them. Good luck!

LawrenceFromTorrance 01-27-2010 11:31 AM

I got my wife new run-flats for about $600. Shop around.

shaggy 02-21-2010 02:13 PM

Run Flats

Although it sounds like most people here hate the run flats I gotta say I take the opposite approach at the moment. My first MCS was a 2002 and like you I hated the "run-craps" and got rid of em as soon as I needed new tires. Don't remember how long that took. But I sold that car about 2006. I recently drove an 09 MCS and I gotta tell you Mini either heard the complaints or have accidently improved the ride. I no longer feel the need to get rid of the run-flats. I will take deliver of a 2010 MCS in a couple days and unless something changes in the ride I don't feel the current run flats are that bad. My wifes car is an 09 honda civic and the mini with the run flats rides better. Course I can't tell her that.

bad venge 02-21-2010 07:41 PM

I think 2 things happened mini did work on the ride , and the run craps have improved

Sippicanman 02-22-2010 09:33 PM

Run Flats still not ideal

My run-flats will wear out at about 25k on my 08 MCS. Even though they're better than they were, you still pay too much money for too little treadlife. The ride is stiff, but I have grown to like it. Handling is fine, too. Road noise gets a little louder every day. You can get good replacement tires for about $150 from Tire-Rack, but why spend that much for 20k miles of use? I am pretty sure I'm going to replace them with conventional tires and buy a compressor and a can of sealant. I already have a AAA card.

kevinraphael 02-28-2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by GradyCooper (Post 7770)
I had the same problem. I had my MINI for about a year and destroyed the treads on the run-flats on the great little roads outside of Boulder. The run-flats MINI offers on their cars are a joke. Replace them with some regular tires and get a can of fix-a-flat. The ride will be better (you won't feel like your about to skip across the highway when it rains). Well worth it. I picked-up some Bridgestone Potenzas for less than $500 and I love them. Good luck!

Hi there,
Which Potenzas did you end up getting? I am considering the G019 Grids. Any compatibility issues with the tire pressure monitor system? Do you know if any 195/55/16 conventional tire will work with the MCS 08? I'm guessing it needs to have an 87 load rating but the speed rating could vary depending on driving habits. thanks for your advice!

Vanchai 03-03-2010 12:46 PM

2008 Cooper S tire replacement

Just thinking about getting new tires for my 08 S, replacing the runflats with all season Cooper CS4 205/50/16. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate the input.

Sippicanman 03-04-2010 05:53 PM

Replace Those Run Flats

I've decided to ditch the run-flats and -- after hours of research -- have decided on Hankook Ventus V4 all-season tires for my 2008 S. Cost will be $516 including wheel alignment, mounting and balancing. Can't wait. The Goodyears are miserable after only 23,000 miles.

bad venge 03-04-2010 08:05 PM

I love my toyo's ...Proxes I got a set of 18's delivered to my door for $400

chucklittman 07-29-2017 09:41 AM

does anyone have experience with a donut that will fit my 2017 Mini S?