07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Run Flats, but want standard tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Default Have Run Flats, but want standard tires

I got my 2009 S last November, and I've scrubbed off all the tread on my factory Dunlops, and need new skins now. OMG!!! I'm looking at $1,200 to replace the factory run flats. This brings me to my question. How does the factory donut tire mount under the car? When I peek under there, I can't help bun notice an exhaust system in the way. Has anyone switched to standard tires, and come up with a solution for carrying a spare?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I carry a Plug kit , an Air compressor , a bottle of tire sealant , and a AAA Card ...
If I can't fix it roadside , call AAA for a tow

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Less than a year and no tread left? It sounds like your mighty MINI will have a hard, and maybe short life. Anyway, I would go with Bad Venge's advice. The "S" has no place to stow a spare, save for behind the rear seat (goodbye clean storage space). I'm sure when my tires need replacing I'll go with standard tires and a fix-it kit. Most flats are easily fixed roadside with a plug kit and an portable air compressor (a la Porsche).

Of course, I can't even remember the last time I had a flat.

Don't kick your car's *ss too hard. I wonder about the durability of MINI's. They're great cars, but flogging them is a sure way of guaranteeing high costs down the road.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 AM

I had the run flats on my 07 but as soon as I could afford to loose them I did. The were OK, a little rough, but my mini has a spare and I prefer normal tires, people have been using them for years. Oh, I also bought the new ones from firestone and get free flat repairs, rotation, and balancing anytime. I was also able to change the size to a little wider.

Even with the run flats on, I had over 10 flats, where I had to continually get them fixed. Yes, they stayed afloat but it was only a temporary solution. SoCal highways are notorious for screws, nails, and trucks carrying rocks!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM

I replaced the run flats with regular tires. Much cheaper. I carry a small air compressor and a tire repair kit. You could pay for several roadside repairs with the difference in money for the tires.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Question Want to go wwider than stock

I'm on my 2nd MCS and want again to go away from run flats. I am running the stock 205/45/17's and want to change to a 215 or 225. Has anyone done this and been successful ? On my first 2002 MCS I changed to 205's traditionals and liked the change - bought the air compressor and tire repair can.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'm running 215/50/17's they fill the wheel wells nicely

Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback ! So I assume no rubbing when cornering. I want to use the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport can you tell me what you went with?
THANKS
Rob

Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm running toyo proxes summer tires and toyo observe 2s for winter

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Default No Tread/ No Spare

I had the same problem. I had my MINI for about a year and destroyed the treads on the run-flats on the great little roads outside of Boulder. The run-flats MINI offers on their cars are a joke. Replace them with some regular tires and get a can of fix-a-flat. The ride will be better (you won't feel like your about to skip across the highway when it rains). Well worth it. I picked-up some Bridgestone Potenzas for less than $500 and I love them. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Have Run Flats, but want standard tires