07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please, Some Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Help Please, Some Newbie Questions

Just got an 07 Cooper S, with some John Cooper trim accents like wheels, front and rear aero, damn I love this car.
Been checking this forum for sometime thinking about getting one andglad I finally did, now I know you guys are talking about

I have had 3 beamers, and learned really the forums were the best place to score good information, so for anyone who can answer some of my silly questions it will be much appreciated, and if you are in south Florida I will buy you a beer
Here goes

What are the service intervals/oil change intervals according to OEM on the 07? The owners area did not give me any info and the manual is very non specific. How often are you guys having things done? I assume maintenance is not included like it is on the new beamers?

I bought this car used from a Ford Dealer, Nice guys but they had no clue what options were on the car or how to work anything

So, How do I know if this thing it equipped for satellite radio? I tried cycling though the radio modes and did not see it, but not sure if that means no satellite or no subscription,
Last

Dude, do I have bluetooth hands free? I have the buttons on the steering wheel, but no where can I find the information on how to work it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Help Please, Some Newbie Questions

When youfirst turn on the ignition, The oddometer tells you how many miles to the next service. A post in this forum a couple of days ago tells how to reset it if you service it yourself. I find it very wierd that Mini doesn't post a service schedule in their manual that is clearer than it is. they definately like to try to maker you come back to the dealer for all servicing. I change my oil every 10,000 miles and use Castrol Synthetic 5-30W. You might choose a different oil. A friend took his Mini to a Jiffy lube, and they didn't have a correct wrench to change the filter. I happen to have a BMW wrench made to tighten the steering head bearings on my old BMW airhead bike, and it is the right size (I think a 1-7/16" open end wrench will work. Metric size should be about 38mm).

I have what is probably that same button with a icon of a telephone on my steering wheel. It doesn't do anything that I can find. I saw a button just like that in a Rover in Holland last year that activated a factory built-in phone. Dialing was voice activated. You listened to the telephone over the radio speakers. Maybe they have that in the States, but I haven't seen it.

Can't answer your question on your satellite radio. I use a Delphi MYFi for XM radio. I built a little stand for it that sets right next to the E-brake. I bought two extra car kits and have a mount in my truck and another on my motorcycle, so I can pull the Delphi out and take it with me when I change vehicles. Works really neat.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Default RE: Help Please, Some Newbie Questions

you change you roil every 10K miles? can it safely go that long? I know synthetic oil helps, but still... seems extreme.