07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Major troubles

2010 Clubman , 80k miles always runs perfect , wife driving to work , yellow temp light flashed on , wife slowed down light went off and drove rest of the way to work. Checked Coolant , none in tank , Towed to mini dealer.

They call and state freeze plug popped out the cylinder head, destroyed timing guide, needs timing chain tensioner guides overheated and warped head, $4500 if the head can be resurfaced , Add $2800 if It needs a new head

OK the light for the coolant never stayed on , despite the freeze plug causing the entire coolant level to leave the car ? How can this be ?
I questioned the tech, how can the head be warped ? he says it might not be but it's easier for them to install the freeze plug with the head removed
Anyone else experience something like this ?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 AM

That sounds whacked. The head shouldn't be warped.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I've gotten a different story from everyone I've talked to at the dealership. First one stated heads warped , when I questioned how can you tell the heads warped without removing the head he then backpedaled and says well it normally warps but it's easier to replace the freeze plug with the head off. I ask to speak to the tech , he tell me he ran a compression check and all cylinders were 190+ so to me that sounds like the head would be fine, so I question can't you replace the timing chain and components and try the motor ? Well we could but it's hard to replace the freeze plug with the head in , and it could pop back out and you'll be out the $$$ . I still can not believe that the car can lose all coolant and still have no warning light on the dash.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM

Is there another shop that you can get a second opinion? I personally don't like going to the dealership. Heard way to many horror stories out there. Good luck man.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well after a total distrust at the mini dealer I removed the car and took to a trusted shop , guess what they found , Yes freeze plug had popped out , NO DAMAGE to timing gears chains tensioners or guides , Looks like flush motor refill and drive away

Old 03-15-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Well after a total distrust at the mini dealer I removed the car and took to a trusted shop , guess what they found , Yes freeze plug had popped out , NO DAMAGE to timing gears chains tensioners or guides , Looks like flush motor refill and drive away
Perfect example of why I tell people to stay away from dealerships unless it's for warranty work. Did he happen to know why coolant light didn't stay on?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 PM

Hell yeah! I would never ever take my beloved ride to a dealership. Peace out y'all!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Bad...

Can you describe what the shop did to replace the freeze plug? Sounds like they did NOT have to remove the head, correct?

I have just had the same thing happen to me (2009 R56, 107k miles)...the dealer didn't know what to think...could NOT even guess how the collant got into the oil...thought it had to be the head gasket...I guess they never heard of that freeze plug...so as "diagnostics" (10 hours), they pulled the head...found the gasket fine and the plug popped out.

Anyway, if I could explain to them that they should have known a much easier fix, maybe I can recoup some hours.

Thanks...