07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini clutch clatter/rattle only when fully depressed

Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Default Mini clutch clatter/rattle only when fully depressed

Hey all,

Got a 2012 Cooper S, and have an issue where when I push the clutch all the way in, it makes a rattle. It happens when I push the clutch just past the point where I have to push it in to start the car, so I can start and shift fine without any noticeable noise or problem. It's only when I put just a little extra pressure on it that the noise shows up. It goes away as soon as the clutch moves back up even just slightly.

It doesn't seem like the typical throwout bearing issue as it's only at that maximum depression point, and it seems a little more clattery than the funny whirr sound I think of with TOB problems.

I've attached a video. I say grind in the video, but it's really more of a clatter/rattle

Let me know if you got any ideas for me!

Thanks,

Ep

Attached Files

Last edited by EpLeague; 08-11-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM

I am having this exact issue. I just recently replaced the entire clutch assembly including the clutch, fly wheel, the pressure plate, the clutch fork, and the throw out bearing. I just recently purchased a new starter as this has just went out in my car as well. Have you received any feedback from this post? Or were you able to find the issue? I will keep you posted if the starter fixes this problem.