07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?

Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Exclamation Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S and for a couple years I've had a leak through my rearview mirror. I've seen a number of other people complain about it so I know it isn't that unique...after a heavy rain I'll be driving and water will be dripping out of the bottom of the rear view mirror. It was never more than an annoyance until recently when the remote keyless entry stopped working. I don't have the easy-access key fob, so it's not easy to open up the fob and look at the rechargable battery. I did remove and open up the rearview mirror and found some corrosion on the electronic chip. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and isopropyl, plugged it back in, but it still doesn't work. (see attached before and after photos). So I have a few questions.
*If the chip is fried and I buy a new chip or a salvaged mirror and swap the chip, does the key need to be reprogrammed by Mini?
*Is there any way to tell if the battery in the fob is at fault without taking it to the Mini dealer and paying $80 just to find out?
*I checked the fuses for the lock icons, but are there other fuses I should be looking at as possible culprits?
*Has anyone ever actually found a solution for this waterfall out of the mirror issue? I've seen others complain that it's after a windshield is replaced...and mine was replaced a number of years ago so that may be it. But unsure how to stop it now.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?-20180707_073823.jpg   Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?-20180707_083024.jpg  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Hi,

I think I have similar issue, did you manage to fix it? What was the solution?

All I can find is that the receiver end is discontinued.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Hello, did you every figure this out? I am struggling to find anything that shows how to repair or replace the rearview mirror so the key fob works again after water damage.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdeleslie
Hello, did you every figure this out? I am struggling to find anything that shows how to repair or replace the rearview mirror so the key fob works again after water damage.
Hi,

Depends on which end it was damaged: key fob or receiver.

Key fob can easily be copied by someone with equipment. And receiver end you can find at scap shops, just be sure you match component codes or at least the frequencies and it should work. I was lucky found one at scrap shop and replaced it. Another trick is that you can mount back with only one screw, pointing to the opposite end as it was originally mounted, thus not being bellow the middle where the water leaks in the mirror.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:38 AM

It's the receiver that is damaged. Looks like some corrosion issues from the original water leak two years ago.
Where can I find component codes and/or frequencies?

Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdeleslie
It's the receiver that is damaged. Looks like some corrosion issues from the original water leak two years ago.
Where can I find component codes and/or frequencies?
On the receiver and some OEM components sites search for mini r56 component codes