07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Default is this right?

07 mini cooper non S model...

50k thermostat went...1 week later started to accel on hwy when car hiccupped and had this gawd awful rattle..i thought i ran over something..so i pulled over popped the bonnet and notice the noise clankin and clackin around the timing chain cover.....long story short
batt light came on ..red temp came on...
BMW service where i work said it was the ALT belt? does this sound right? I heard these years are notorius for the "Death Rattle".....I dont trust these service people at all...

any advise?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

doesn't sound right to me...
belts squeal not clanking noise...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Sponsor

I would see if the belt came off , Its possible that the accessory belt slide off.

I would check the mechanical tensioner , friction wheel , and belt.

We the battery like comes on and the water pump does not spin that's most likely the belt.

Let me know what you need and I can help you out.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 AM

ok so update....(mind you this is all me calling...they wont call and update at all...and I work there..SNERDY!)...they showd me the alt belt its was shredded expect one little band of rubber..and I heard of reports that it has pulled into the shop bay twice now...which would explain the batt light on and temp light on...still nothing....in shope since thursday and its just the alt belt? now a few questions

1 how many belts does the min have (one drive belt or two for acces)
2.I had my ear up to the timing cover...DEF clackin going on there..alt belt?..
3.I know how to work on cars..basic stuff...should I be affraid of the mini?..since its bmw and its fancy electronics and stuff...or is it ok to work on outside the bmw dealership?

one other thing...i bought it feb 1st...1 week later the thermostat went...i was eating lunch in break room when the tec was working on it (thermostat) then he proceeded to hit the rev limiter and tach it out for a solid min...is that right?..i finally had to stop eating and yell HEY!..thats MY ONLY CAR MAN!...mind u..i work for thse idiots..

what is up?

its a bmw dealership but not mini certified..the one tech they had to work on mini is fired now..i know i bought it used 07 with 50k on it..but i get no call back..no updates..they say i dont get a loaner and since this happen weds night..i JUST now got the ok that my tow bill will be covered..but havent seen money yet..WTF!..

can i yell lemon law and get outta of it?...when i heard the noise i proceeded to find a spot to pull over...the temp light went from yellow to red...did i do damage..the car wont let you pop it in N and turn off the car...just a little steam came from under hood, but again why takin so long to replace a simple alt belt....ps should i tell them to change the oil and coolant fluid...

Last edited by Tragic Pepper; 03-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Lemon law is multiple troubles not a one time break down...

I needed a minimum of 3 related breakdowns to even apply for lemon law coverage

Last edited by bad venge; 03-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM

so you had many issues with the mini or in general?....

Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

No I had a Land Rover Freelander that ate motors

Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Sponsor

I would get it to a MINI dealership if you cannot do the work yourself.

The MINI has one main serpentine belt like the one one I have pictured about. You can see the tensioner and friction wheel which can sometimes make noises.

If you listed to the valve cover and hear a rattle its the timing chain and you will either need to replace the full chain and tensioner or just the tensioner dependent on the amount of slack. I would first rule out the issue connected to why it through a belt . Please check the tensioner and friction wheel, it might be damaged.

Thanks and good luck.