07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRACK HOUNDS: Advice if you've driven performance cars and went Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Default TRACK HOUNDS: Advice if you've driven performance cars and went Mini...

Currently I drive two performance cars, a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo with about 320hp and a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am with about 380hp. I track both vehicles (road racing time trials, Pocono and Lime Rock so far), along with autocrosses.

I'm thinking about lowering my profile and stepping into at least a Mini Cooper S. I've driven the 1st gen S a few times and I'm excited about the handling potential. I'm around a fair number of Cooper owners and there's always a decent contingent at racing events.

Front wheel drive is a cardinal sin to me, but I'm willing to overlook it in the case of the Mini given the handling and provided I can at least score a limited slip diff (seems to be a rare build option so far). My other options for small RWD performance cars are the BMW 335i (which isn't that light and hits $40k easily) and the upcoming Hyundai Genesis Coupe (looks good on paper).

So, guys who have driven RWD performance cars, what is your advice?

Am I right in insisting on a LSD?
Is the power going to be enough for my tastes, or should I look into the John Cooper Works models (I admit I don't know too much about them over the stock Cooper S other than body kit ,etc.). 180 bhp doesn't sound like enough for me (although I know it's the power to weight ratio that matters -- what's a Cooper S weigh?)
How much do I have to change to have a good setup for road racing? One of the things that attracts me is the fact that not a whole lot seems to be needed to achieve a good track setup.

In general, I'd like to hearyour tales on the transition and what you think overall.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Default RE: TRACK HOUNDS: Advice if you've driven performance cars and went Mini...

coming from drag racing (modified corvette, modified mustang, modified s-10[w/383 stroker]) my JCW is a bit underpowered. you wont win any light-to-lights, but you toss some twists in there, and you can have a total blast. I think LSD is a must to get the most out of it. I bought it for daily driving (with pep) but it has now retired my mustang to the garage while I autocross the mini. I have heard that the new S is faster than a new JCW, but haven't confirmed. As far as power, it won't pin you back like you are used to. If I were to purchase new tomorrow, it would be a loaded S, then put a bit more on in mods.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Default RE: TRACK HOUNDS: Advice if you've driven performance cars and went Mini...

If you're looking for power skip the JCW and go aftermarket.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM

My sports cars were not drag/track type, 240Z's (two of them), Alfa Spider, and Subaru WRX.

I would only classify the WRX as a perf car. The others were good sports cars, but, nothing to brag about.

Also, have only done the test drive on the Mini S. We had to order one (Clubman, S, auto) so won't be able to tell more until we get it.

First, RWD vs FWD. A world of difference. I think better, especially in low traction situations. It is really much better in any snow or slick roads. Better still was AWD of the WRX, but, that's another story. FWD just takes a bit of getting used to on a track. Is it better on pavement? Depends more on the driver than who has FWD vs RWD.

I would classify the Mini as a good sport sedan, not a high perf car. It is light, it has good acceleration at the low speed end, and has a decent suspension. But, not a high perf car. As above, autocross is a good place for it, modified it to suit your taste

If looking for a good small high perf sport sedan why not include the WRX or EVO? I loved having a sedan that didn't stand out yet could outrun many more expensive or more blatant cars.

charlie