07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission (?) Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Default Transmission (?) Question

Hey all,

I'm new here, registered just to ask this question- but will probably come back and explore when I have more time.

So today I did an oil change on my wife's 2009 hardtop base Mini. We've had it since March, and it's apparent to me that the mechanic did *not* perform a change before the dealership sold it to us (third party dealership, not purchased from Mini). The oil was black as night.

Anyhow, when I test drove it following the change, I'm noticing that when you let off of the gas, there is a decent amount of drag. The car decelerates fairly quickly once you left off the gas, and the drag is enough to make your head bob forward, making for a pretty jerky ride.

Prior to performing this oil change, I never really noticed the drag to be that extreme- however, I've only driven it a handful of times, so I may have simply not noticed it before. I didn't get my wife's opinion, and she didn't say anything about that when she took it out to test it, just that it performed better overall with the new oil.

I drive a Honda with a CVT, and I am used to this happening in that car. However, from what I've been able to find, the R56 does *not* have a CVT, so I'm wondering if the drag is normal?

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!