AC Quit Working After Incident With A Curb

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Default AC Quit Working After Incident With A Curb

My wife got the front spoiler caught on a curb. It sprung some body parts - easy enough to fix. But the Air Conditioning stopped working the next day. I discovered that the cooling fan had got pushed out of alignment to the point where the fan would not turn. I was able to free up the fan, so it turns normally, but no help. There is no voltage getting to the compressor clutch nor the Cooling fan behind the radiator. I checked this voltage at the plug before the compressor; and the plug before the fan. All fuses seem good. I exchanged the relays to no avail. The AC button on the dash has the green light illuminated when the button is pressed, but no AC nor fan. I do have trouble code 2F3F, which is no high speed fan operation. The refrigeration system has not lost any freon.

I have not checked things such as a low pressure cut-off switch for the AC system; nor coolant temperature switch, but see no reason either of these should have been affected. I believe that the fan being stuck has probably overloaded some circuit, but I don't know this for a fact. The AC worked right after the curb incident, but would not work the next day.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Bill

Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM

I also have code 2F07, which deals with a thermostat issue. The temperature seems to be in good control. Runs great. I presume the car would overheat if left idling for a long period, but I have not kept the car still for that long.

I desperately need a wiring diagram for the car. With that, I would think the troubleshooting should be not too difficult. Anybody know where I might find one? Thanks.

Bill

Old 03-20-2018, 12:50 PM

Well, I removed the cooling fan from the vehicle. Tests revealed that the low speed resister is open circuited, so no low speed operation. And on high speed, the fan runs slowly. After removing the fan blades from the motor --- I can see that the motor windings are totally fried. Not brown; but either black or bare wires; toast. Bought a new fan assembly. Tested it before installing. Runs well on both speeds. Installed in car. Not running. No voltage is getting to the fan.

Then, after looking at the fuses for at least 30 times, I realized that the 50 amp fuse for the fan was blown. The copper pieces were just darkened at the very ends, so I missed it before. Replaced the fuse, all ready for everything to work properly. But still no voltage to the fan. Perhaps the ECU delays the fan coming on until some pressure is built up in the system or something. Anybody know?

But now I check more fuses in the front right side footwell. Now I find that Fuse #24 (Snowflake icon) (10 amp) is blown. It was not before. I replaced it, but the new fuse blows a second or two after pressing the AC ON button. Now I check the compressor clutch, but it does not pull in, and there seems to be lots of resistance when connecting power. I believe that is what is tripping the #24 fuse. I disconnect the compressor clutch wires and now the #24 fuse does not blow. So my next step is to replace the A/C compressor clutch coil.

Hopefully, this is providing someone with interesting reading, but for me, the fun has long since, gone away. I will continue to post as the saga unfolds.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Tonight I was trying to get a model number off the compressor so I could order the clutch coil. The last time I tested the clutch coil, the yellow plug was in place. I noticed the two wires were very close together on the back side of the plug. Long story short - the wires must have been touching. I removed the plug and connected my 10 amp battery charger to the wires and --- drum roll please --- the clutch engaged! It was OK after all. So I replaced the 50 amp fan fuse under the hood, and the 10 amp fuse #24. Hooked up the wires permanently with good couplings.

Got inside the car; started the engine; held my breath and pressed the green A/C button. OOH RAAH. The compressor runs and cold air expels from the outlets. The fan comes on high speed perhaps 30 seconds after the compressor began to run. I suppose it does depend upon pressure inside the refrigeration system in order to run.

Anyway, I am very glad that I didn't needlessly replace the coil. I hope this exercise may in some way help someone else in troubleshooting this bizarre issue. I will be glad to try to answer questions. Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks.