Fixing Stuck Sunroof

Old 03-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Default Fixing Stuck Sunroof

I got my 09 Clubman JCS with the knowledge that it will have several issues I'll need to address "eventually". The Turbo was coming apart & streaming hot gas onto the valve cover, melting part of it. There were other oil leaks to address. "Eventually" has become "Now" & I should be back on the road sometime Monday.

I didn't pay any attention to the sunroof, but was able to open it up without issue ... closing it was another matter. The dealer said they could have their best service guy look at it. He toggled the switch and proclaimed the tracks 'dirty'. It also may be a bad motor, or bad switch, or something else, but he proclaimed that they could run a diagnostic, and fix it. I nearly tipped over from thinking about the weight loss that was about to happen as they vacuumed out all that money from my wallet.

The owner's manual said that, after electrical interruption (battery change) and (as I discovered later) also the tire pressure monitor reset, it will need a system initialization & to .... go ... see ... a ... dealer.

I found that, when you simply wait for 30 minutes, the sunroof will reset enough to be able to close it, BUT when you open it again, it dies again & needs another 30 minutes to reset.

I also found out that if you fully open the sunroof from a fully closed position and then: ** Hold the switch on ** for 10 seconds after it's fully opened, it will reset (initialize) on it's own. Recent experience that this will need to be done after disconnecting the battery, and also after you tamper with the reset setting on the tire pressure monitor.

Summary: When your sunroof is stuck open, grab your keys and walk away for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, you will be able to fully close the sunroof. Next step is to fully open it, then keep your finger on the switch for another 10 seconds after it's already fully open.

Later, when speaking to a sales guy at the dealer, he admitted that this same procedure works on the windows, too.

Now that I know my Mini Dealer isn't any more forthcoming about stuff than Ford or Nissan, I'm better prepared to keep the unscrupulous Service Managers from reaching as deeply into my pockets.

Last edited by AZmini; 03-05-2016 at 07:13 AM.