2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

ATF change

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Default ATF change

My daughter just got an 04" Mini (not an "S") with automatic transmission. Does it have a "CVT" transmission? I haven't been under the car yet. Does it have transmission drain and fill holes, or must you drop the pan to change the ATF? Is there an ATF filter to be changed?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Default RE: ATF change

Yep the Mini is a CVT the plugs are under the heatshield underneath the car enclosed is the picture for the drain and filling plugs / holes
Cheers
Straff

[IMG]local://upfiles/590/D665628CB0BC461BBFDB8187CFA49319.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Socko,

We sounds like twins... I just got my daughter a 2004 AT Mini. I have all the same questions... and more. I MUST read that manual. I was told that the little digital display at the bottom of the tach can be changed from MPH to MPG (inst), MPG (avg), miles remaining, and outside temp... is that true for the regular Mini's or just the S models? Is there a switch in the turn-signal stalk? My car is at the Mini dealer now for its first look-over, or I'd go try it myself.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM

CA993twin:

My daughter has only let me drive her car a couple of times. I don't know if it shows MPG, etc.. I want to change ATF using Amsoil synthetic Universal ATF and I seem to recall seeing somewhere that that ATF isn't recommended for CVT transmissions (or maybe it was only Toyota CVT transmissions). That's what prompted my post..

Old 06-28-2007, 11:03 AM

Socko,

No help on the ATF questions, but I did discover the switch on the stalk, and in our models you can only get outside temp or MPH... no MPG data. Dang it. I guess only the "S" gets the good stuff.

What an odd transmission... I guess its designed to kind of simulate gears... sometimes.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 AM

I was going to use AMSOIL Universal ATF. At first AMSOIL told me it was appropriate for this vehicle, but its web site said it wasn't for use with CVT transmission. When I pointed that out to them, they acknowledged that their first response to me was wrong. So what synthetic ATF is appropriate for the '04 Mini?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Well, after several hours and many LD telecons all over teh USA to german auto parts outlets and german car specialty shops, I have learned that the MINI automatic transmission fluid is ESSO CVT EZL 799 and that it simply isn't available anywhere except from a MINI dealer. I wonder if there is some agreement between ESSO and MINI to market it only through MINI dealers. In any event I haven't been able to find it anywhere except from a dealer, and what they want for it is, in my humble opinion grossly excessive. If the car holds 4.5 liters and if you want to get all of the old out by draining and refilling 3 times, and assuming that you get about 2 liter out when you drain - that means you'll need about 6 liters to do the job - an expensive proposition..

Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Hi All
Sorry for bringing back an old post. I have a question in regards to the MINI CVT. If someone can answer for me I think I might be able to help you guys out. Is MINI's cvt a metal-chain driven CVT?

The reason I am asking is because I work for a Japanese Oil company and we are the only company on the market right now offering a CVT fluid. Our application caters to Japanese vehicles but it will work universally for ANY car using a metal-chain/belt driven CVT. We are the largest oil company in Japan so we help develop a lot of Japanese CVT technology. I have gotten several phone calls for inquiry about MINI, so I want to do some research for these guys.

If anyone know the type of CVT, your feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Timzerofive:

See if this link answers your question: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...e-1003432.html

Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 PM

how do i recover the image posted on up files of the drain fill holes posted by the staff?

Quick Reply: ATF change