2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Clutch replacement and BMW specialty tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Default Clutch replacement and BMW specialty tools

My wife has a '04 Mini with approx. 41k miles on it. The clutch appears to have had a catastrophic failure. The closest Mini dealer is 130 miles away and their estimate for clutch replacement is around $2,100. If the flywheel is damaged, it goes up to $2,500. After reading my Bentley Service Manual a few times, I plan on doing the job myself. I have a mid-rise lift, engine hoist and tools (at least most of them). I've changed clutches in rear wheel drive cars but this will be my first rodeo for a front wheel drive. My question is twofold. First, the manual explains two ways to do it. Pull the engine AND transmission together OR drop the front suspension and remove the transmission only which would require a front end alignment when reassembled. Which of the two methods would be easiest? My gut feeling goes with the engine/transmission method. I welcome all input on the pros and cons of either method. Secondly, the Bentley specifies certain BMW tools (w/part numbers) that would make either job easier. I'm having difficulty getting a response from the Mini dealer. Can anyone give me a source where I purchase the BMW tools? I know I said this was a two part question but I just thought of something else Since I'm going through all this trouble to do it myself, I'm seriously thinking of putting in a heavier duty clutch and lightweight flywheel. Any suggestions in this regard would be much appreciated. THANKS, Mike in WV.