2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

I have never before purchased such a money pit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Angry I have never before purchased such a money pit

I am incredibly disappointed with Mini (and BMW).

I purchased a 2006 Mini Cooper with 4,000 miles on it. Within the year, the car had problems with overheating. Then the windshield wiper fluid container sprung a $175 - $200 leak (are you kidding me?) Next up were the transmission problems. Although Mini/BMW knew at the time that the CVT transmissions were problematic, all they did was readjust adaptations. A year later, the car was out of warranty, although only with 35,000 miles.

After I spent approximately $400 so that Mini could go through the process of elimination without eating the cost, they tell me I need a new transmission. Cost? $7,000. But they are acting generous in offering to pay 50%.

Really? $3500 into a car that I'm upside down in loan-wise, for a problem Mini/BMW has known about? I'm terrified to put anymore money into this car, because I don't know what's going to go wrong next. What a POS!

If enough of us report these constant issues to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline (1-888-327-4236), some much-needed recalls could go into effect.

My car sits in Drive or Reverse then lurches forward (or backward) suddenly without warning. What a nice feeling when I'm sitting in a parking lot with people walking in front of and behind my car. And they want me driving this until I come up with the $3500? Really?

I hate this car.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Yikes!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 PM

My girlfriend has an 2002 that she bought in 2005 and it came with an envelope stuffed with repair receipts. Since then both window regulators broke and I replaced them myself, the power steering whines more then a NAPA vineyard, the dash rattles incrediably, the sunscreen side cover doesn't work, and numerous idiot lights are on all over the dash. I scanned thru the receipts that came with the car and noticed this POS has been in the dealer 12 times in it's first two years. It may be fun to drive, but I myself would never own one...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by GT350
My girlfriend has an 2002 that she bought in 2005 and it came with an envelope stuffed with repair receipts. Since then both window regulators broke and I replaced them myself, the power steering whines more then a NAPA vineyard, the dash rattles incrediably, the sunscreen side cover doesn't work, and numerous idiot lights are on all over the dash. I scanned thru the receipts that came with the car and noticed this POS has been in the dealer 12 times in it's first two years. It may be fun to drive, but I myself would never own one...
If you do a Google search, you'll find that there is a class action suit regarding the steering problems, but I'm not sure for what years. lol @ the whining like a vineyard! I don't lol too loud, though: This was one of the worst financial decisions I've ever made. I'll be paying for it for a long time. I'm going back to Honda.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Oh man! Sorry to hear that. We've owned many Honda's & never really had many troubles.

Dave

Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Default Mini-Drama

I too have had my fair share of Mini Drama. I purchased this car since my Mortgage lender told me I needed to build credit to buy my first house. I thought it was my lucky day when I drove onto the lot and saw a Mini Cooper. In Oct 2010 I purchased an '04 Mini Cooper (pepper white). I'm in love with her.
Although my problems haven't been as major they're still troubling.
My power steering will just randomly stop working. I was told by one mechanic I needed a new power steering pump. $2k
Another who is a huge Mini Fan tells me there's something in/on/near the powersteering area that gets clogged/dirty & causes the intermittent power steering drama.

Recently I noticed while driving over 40mph and going around a curve (to the left) there's a garbly noise coming from the back left of the car (I think). Haven't had this looked at yet.

CV Boot on the passenger side went out that was about $140 (not horrible).

Car died one day, wouldn't take a jump unless you used a super special jumper from a tow truck. It was a bad battery which BMW charged $250 for.

For the last few weeks Mini is intermittantly squeeling...not sure why or what it is but it sounds like a belt. Its almost always happening when I reverse and have the wheel tightly to the left. Or when the car first takes off in the morning

My Mini is a 5speed and I've been noticing shuddering/shaking when using gears 1-3 mostly one and two just when you're first taking off. This might be my lack of knowlege with a 5spd but it's a recent happening never happened before.

I saw your post and thought I'd share but I will post this as my own too. Just looking to see if other have experienced the same things.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 AM

The shuddering your writing about is probably the clutch slipping slightly under load. Make sure that you are not riding the clutch so that you can get the longest amount of time out of your clutch. It's not going to fall out on you or anything but just use care.

Belt noise under cold start up conditions is common w/ all aging belts. the rubber like material is not as soft & lost some of it's holding power untill it gets warmed up a little.

I'd make friends w/ the Mini fanatic. Get as much free advice & knowledge as you can. One thing that we can all be happy about is that they are not like the English cars of old. One had to be a hobbiest or mechanic to keep an English car going from drive to drive. Everytime the weather changed, I can remember my uncle as a kid, used to be constantly under his bonnet to keep it up to tune! He would sometimes get out at a stop sign to adjust a carb. He would have loved the more consistent quality of a new Mini any day of the week!

Dave

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by GT350
My girlfriend has an 2002 that she bought in 2005 and it came with an envelope stuffed with repair receipts. Since then both window regulators broke and I replaced them myself, the power steering whines more then a NAPA vineyard, the dash car accessories rattles incrediably, the sunscreen side cover doesn't work, and numerous idiot lights are on all over the dash. I scanned thru the receipts that came with the car and noticed this POS has been in the dealer 12 times in it's first two years. It may be fun to drive, but I myself would never own one...

Dayummmmm, that is ridiculous. I've never heard of 12 times in the first two years. Looks like it's time for another car maybe lol

Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Jasmine & GT,

What has happened since your last posts?

Just curious,
Dave

Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the information Dave! You were right about the clutch and it's not doing that anymore

The Belt noise ended up being Serpentine Belts (sp)? $110 parts/labor

While I was at Mini getting my Mini looked at I saw one of the originals and people think MY Mini is small

Originally Posted by Gr8Cape
The shuddering your writing about is probably the clutch slipping slightly under load. Make sure that you are not riding the clutch so that you can get the longest amount of time out of your clutch. It's not going to fall out on you or anything but just use care.

Belt noise under cold start up conditions is common w/ all aging belts. the rubber like material is not as soft & lost some of it's holding power untill it gets warmed up a little.

I'd make friends w/ the Mini fanatic. Get as much free advice & knowledge as you can. One thing that we can all be happy about is that they are not like the English cars of old. One had to be a hobbiest or mechanic to keep an English car going from drive to drive. Everytime the weather changed, I can remember my uncle as a kid, used to be constantly under his bonnet to keep it up to tune! He would sometimes get out at a stop sign to adjust a carb. He would have loved the more consistent quality of a new Mini any day of the week!

Dave

Quick Reply: I have never before purchased such a money pit