2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 03:59 PM
Question ignition problem

2003 Mini Cooper s originally had a fuel problem, now thats fixed now I have an ignition problem I have voltage at the center contact of the coil but no spark at the spark plug, does anyone have a schematic that might help me figure out my problem ?

Old 08-27-2023, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Lagasse
2003 Mini Cooper s originally had a fuel problem, now thats fixed now I have an ignition problem I have voltage at the center contact of the coil but no spark at the spark plug, does anyone have a schematic that might help me figure out my problem ?
It's actually a ground pulse from ecm that tells the ignition coil(s) to spark...12VDC power will always be applied with key in run position (even if your ecm and ews have lost sync). I had the same issue, but with cylinders 1 and 4 only...turned out to be a bad/burned contacts inside ECM (DME) that supply the ground pulse to the coil. Very difficult to repair, even with good soldering experience. Real easy inspection to do by simply opening up ecm module.

If possible, a good first check is to ensure your crank trigger is working by watching with a live data scanner as you crank over the engine...this is where it all starts.

Might want to throw in there...could be as simple as a bad coil...but usually (on GEN 1 Mini's) they will give you issues with either cylinders 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 first if in fact a coil (step up transformer) is beginning to fail.

Start with the simplest and cheapest stuff first...