2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Indicator Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Question Indicator Service Engine Soon

Dear Miniholics,

I'm from Holland and have a question:
Recently I bought an American Mini Cooper from 2002.
It was love at first sight.

Unfortunately an unknown indicator led up after just a few days.
The indicator said: 'Service Engine Soon'.
But the car just had his service when I bought it.

So I went back to the dealer. Apperently it seems that this indicator is typicaly for American Mini's and European Mini's don't have this indicator.
That for they couldn't find the cause so they reset the car, the indicator turned off. But a few days later it led again.

After a few times the dealer told me that he didn't know exactly what the problem was, but it had to do something with a very small airleak or something and it wouldn't harm the engine at all.

When I told them that I'm not satisfied with that answer they admitted that they were puzzeling what the cause was for the indicator, but didn't know how tot solve the problem and therefor the indicator to stop lightning.

Does anyone reconize this problem or can anyone tell me what this indicator means? Maybe someone might have a clue what the reason is for this indicator to light up, even when the car just had his servicing.

Thanks for your help!

A desperate Mini-Mam

Old 09-25-2021, 01:17 AM

If you have a push in button on the end of your indicator stalk,you can push this in and it will scroll through a menu and allow you to reset the car system and cancel the light,Hard to explain.search YouTube for engine service light reset,that is the best way,you can then watch it and set it back to normal,that way you should be ok.lots of tutorials on YouTube,also search hidden features for your car,will see lots of things you will like.is it a cooper s.welcome great fun cars.stay safe.best regards.