2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Steering Wheel Emblem Dented

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Default Steering Wheel Emblem Dented

Does anyone know how to get a dent out of the metal wing emblem on the center of the steering wheel? It got dented in when trying to push down to beep horn with thumb instead of palm. Now one corner of the wing sticks out and there is a good dent in the middle. I could try to pry it off but wasn't sure about the airbag and possible deployment.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Default RE: Steering Wheel Emblem Dented

That shouldn't even beep the horn. There should be buttons on the side. To be honest, It will probably need to be disassembled and replaced. Only a dealer or repair guy can do that. I don't suggest doing it at home unless you are really handy.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:01 PM

I managed to get the wing pressed down at the corner but there is still a dent that I can't get out on the right side of the emblem., between the center and the right wing...guess I'll have to live with. I tried to get a small jeweler's screw driver to pry up the dented part butI noticed it was begining to scratch the emblem on the sides and I also didn't want to set off the driver's side air bag. In another forum they said a lot of people are driving around with dented in emblems on the steering wheel. The only fix is to have the dealer replace the whole airbag unit which costs over 500.00. Wish my bro hadn't tried to beep horn by pressing the emblem. Now I know to warn people when they are checking out my cool car.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info jerkface. Like your screen name, it somehow makes me feel better just saying jerkface.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 AM

It's just glued on there. You can order a new one, peel that one off and stick the new one on. I promise you won't set off the airbag.

Also, the center of the steering wheel definitely sets off the horn... do you have a MINI jerkface?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM

I appreciate the advice amg6975, andI see that you are an administrator. I just want to make sure before I go ahead and pry it off that you have experience with this. Sorry I don't mean to offend you, I am new to this forum and don't know the admins here yet. You must be a mini expert as you are an admin on this site. Have you ever pryed an emblem off before?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM

heck yeah, i dented my mini emblem on my R50 06 Mini AB

the first repair was free at the Dealership... when i did it again, they told me sorry, it's YOUR fault

Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Hey Kelly Girl, what did they do to repair it? Did they just pry it off like amg6975 said? I'm nervous about tearing it off without really checking into it first.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 PM

The side of the wings regularly come off and I've heard on other forums that the dealership just replaced the whole cover instead of the emblem. If your car is under waranty they'll do it for free. If it's not call and make sure you can order the new emblem before you pry it off. I can't imagine that it's anything more than stuck on there.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 PM

I just read your other post and you're definitely still under waranty so just bring it back and they'll fix it.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Emblem Dented