2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Why are my ABS and Flat Tire sensors on at all and on at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Default Why are my ABS and Flat Tire sensors on at all and on at the same time?

2006 Mini Cooper Base 4Cyl1.6L - Brakes

Why are my ABS and Flat Tire sensors on at all and on at the same time?

My convertible Mini has 47,769 miles. Three weeks ago, I had rear brake pad work and the roter replaced. The sensors were not coming on prior to having that work done. One week subsequent to the completion of that work, my sensors starting coming on and off regularly daily. After two weeks they come on when I start the engine and when I am driving.

I have not driven the car at all for the last week and a half due to illness. As evidenced by the limited miles, I not not a heavy user of the vehicle.

The sensors are yellow not red.

My check engine light message says I am due for my maintenance in about 8,000 miles.
I am wondering if those sensors may have been disconnected when the brake work was done by the dealership?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

The TPMS sensors are IN the tires and respond to tire pressure. I'm GUESSING that you have a low tire . Check the tire pressures in all 4 tires. Likely one tire is low and it's throwing off the diameter of the tire causing the ABS issue

Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM

I have an '04 base model Mini and about a year ago my Low Pressure lgiht came on a few times. I couldn't figure it out as I'm not a car friendly person (but I LOVE my Mini
My brother told me to stop at CVS for a pressure gauge and make sure all 4 are the same. Although it wasn't visible one of the tires was slightly lower so I jsut added some air, everythings fine now!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Default ABS and Flat Sensors come on and reset by turning car off.

I have a similar problem. It was diagnosed by a dealership here in Florida. Sensors were switched on the front to see if it was bad sensors or bad module. Sensors are coming on again sometimes when I put it in drive. Anyone else have a similar situation. I have 2007 Mini convertible - base model.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Default ABS & RunFlat Sensors

As one would expect with Mini, my unknown problem of the ABS Lights and Run Flat lights mysteriously coming on/off became much worse.

At first the run flat sensor would just appear. This was about a year ago and happened 2-3 times. As the year went on there was a grumbly noise coming from the back left of Mini. Soemtiems it was worse than others but the Idiot used car sales guy at Gates Chevy told me this was normal for Mini's. Me being even more of an idiot believed him.

About a month ago, I went through a car wash, the next thing I know the red ABS, orange run flat and red 'brake' lights are on and there is an awful metal scraping noise happening. I got Mini into the mechanic immediately to learn the wheel bearings were bad on the back left wheel. They were so bad they also broke the ABS sensors. I paid about $350 for the parts/labor and was told by the mechanic, he was surprised I made it this far.
My front lefts bearings are also getting bad and will be replaced this week.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

I have a 2005 Mini, I bought it after test driving several others. This one rode very soft without the hard bumpy ride of the other cars. Almost immediately the three sensor warning lights came on (TMPS, ABS, and something else, I can't recall) I lived with this for almost two years of intermittent lights then finally they were just on all the time. Yeah I cleaned the wheel speed sensors and made certain the wires had integrity. But NOW I think I know what the problem really was, I replaced all the strut shocks and rubber (with polyurethane) about two weeks ago. The lights went out on the test drive and have not returned. The gas shocks were so bad that when pushed into the cylinder they NEVER came back out. Now the ride is a bit rougher but the lights have remained out.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM

You don't have to be a car person to know that any unusual sound or noise is not normal. If you hear a new noise or sound have it checked out. Find an Independent Auto Repair center that specializes in German and/or Mini vehicles.

If you have brake work performed you must make sure the brake pad wear sensor is replaced too. This is the sensor that turns the light on when your brake pads are worn out.