2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 R53 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Default 2002 R53 no crank no start

Hello all, new to Minis, new to the forum.
I have a 2002 R53 5 speed that I just got and I cannot get it to turn over. The gentleman I got it from said that it overheated on him on the way home after a new clutch install so he took it to a local indy shop to get it looked at. They didn't get to do anything because the starter died, so he towed it home and it sat in his yard for an unknown length of time before I got it. It did not have a battery in it when I got it and I don't know how long it was without one. I have installed a fresh battery.
When I turn the key the dash lights all come on and the dinger dings but when I push in the clutch and turn the key fully I get nothing, should I hear or feel a click from the clutch safety switch relay?
It does have a bunch of codes too, not sure if any would keep it from at least spinning the engine over, they are as follows;
P0118- coolant temp circuit high input (from the overheat?), P1617 - ECM h bridge controller- DME?, P0302- cylinder 2 misfire, P1229 ?, P0313- misfire with low fuel , P0500- VSS?, P0130- O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1
I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay and driver's foot well and they all test good.
Any advice on what to try next would be appreciated, thanks for reading
Craig

Edit; I am leaning towards the clutch safety switch being bad, it has not fallen off the clutch pedal - it's actually pretty secure, but that seems to be the only thing that is inline that can interrupt the power to the starter. Plus it is relatively inexpensive

Last edited by srbmini; 03-10-2022 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:06 PM

So I replaced the clutch safety switch today, and surprise! Nothing changed..
I'm rather annoyed and dismayed. I don't want to keep throwing parts at it in the hopes that something will fix it.
Having said that, my next step will probably be to replace the ignition switch. I have seen that if the ignition switch is loose then sometimes that will cause these symptoms.
If anyone has any other ideas please share them.
Thanks
Craig
Edit; With the key in the run position I can hear what sounds like a fan motor running under the dash - not loud, barely noticeable in fact.
Also, the abs pump is running or at least constantly clicking, is this normal in run?

Last edited by srbmini; 03-15-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:08 PM

I pulled the ignition switch apart today and cleaned the contacts, no change. The switch actually looked fairly new which makes me think the previous owner may have had the same issues as I and just "forgot" to tell me..
It seems like there isn't any power getting to the starter when I turn the key, is there an immobilizer on these cars that i'm overlooking?
I also tried re-pairing my key (the battery had to be changed as it was dead when I got it) but it didn't take; or it was already paired and didn't need to do anything.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-13-2022, 03:07 AM

I think you were on the right path with the clutch switch. If you’re sure that the nee one is installed correctly and has a good, clean connection to the wires, then I’d chase those wires back to see if one is broken or damaged. Test to see that it is opening and closing with a continuity test. One can get bad new electric parts.
anyway, I think that your on the right path, chase those wires- get a wire diagram if it helps. I’m not sure if the switch is a basic always open type or not. But if you can close the circuit with the wires and then test crank it, that would tell you if the switch is bad.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:44 PM

Update;
I pulled the intercooler to check for fuel pressure at the rail, what came out was pretty varnished but i went ahead and shot a sniff of starting fluid in the intake. Turned the key to run, pushed the clutch in and hit the remote start switch I had hooked up. It spun a few times and fired up! It ran like poop, but it runs. Next step is to drain the fuel tank and add fresh stuff. I will order a new ignition switch since they are not too expensive, hopefully that will cure the no start with key and no accessories working thing..
Also, is it normal for the cooling fan to continue running after the key is removed? mine kept running for a few minutes until I unhooked the battery. The car ran for less than a minute so this seems excessive to me.

Craig

Last edited by srbmini; 04-27-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Well..I reconnected the signal wire to the starter and just for grins and giggles I tried the key. It worked..until I reinstalled the intercooler.
I ordered a new ignition switch since that seems to be the only thing it could be now.

Craig

Old 04-30-2022, 12:42 PM

I was wrong again..not the ignition switch.
I'm getting really frustrated now.
I noticed that the ring around the ignition tumbler loose, and when I wiggled it I lost power to the dash.
Can anyone tell me what this is and if it can be replaced/repaired?
Worse comes to worse I'll run a remote start button, but that won't help with the no power to the accessories.

Craig