2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Fan not working after change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Default Coolant Fan not working after change

Hope someone might be able to help with this one as I'm all out of ideas and there's too many threads out there that don't fully cover the issue I'm having. Basically, serviced the supercharger, replaced water pump, thermostat and housing while I was in there as would have been rude not to. Got it all back together and ran fine until I tapped a speedbump and buckled the radiator so changed that for an upgraded core.
Had the dreaded overheating and then coolant fan not coming on, found that a wire had come off of the resistor. Just fitted a brand new fan assembly and it still doesn't come on when up to temp in either stage 1 or 2.

Have checked the following:
Fan works on both stage 1 and 2 when voltage put through them
Both stage 1 and 2 relays work when voltage put through them
Checked both the 5A fuses in the engine bay fuse box and they are fine
Checked the 2x 50A fuses and the 30A fuse in the engine bay box, and a couple of fuses in the foot well box but everything is fine
No fault codes from scan tool which isn't an eBay special or a high end and can pull various data streams
I think I've ruled out it being a temp sensor as scan tool pulls through the coolant temp as live data and it is accurate
Cleaned the earthing block on the O/S chassis leg - cant find a wiring diagram so don't think it earths to it but it was accessible.
Its a track toy so never bothered recharging the air-con so the light has always flashed - had that on at the same time and fans still don't come on

Am I missing something totally obvious. The old fan was working fine before it gave up the ghost and was definitely 'part' of the overheating issue so I'm totally stumped. Everything I've read is 'Resistor/Relays/Fuse/Unlabelled 5A Fuse'

Anyone else had anything similar? - Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-2021, 08:28 AM

OK your A/C has to be charge before it will come on to work your fan. Have you bleed the air out of the water after you have refill it.
If your fan run with the A/C on with it fill up. and it does not run with heater on, Then it made be the water temperature plug.
If you have not bleed the air out yet on the water. Turn your heater to high with the fan on the heater set to high and open up the bleeder at the back of the motor head.
you made have to take off the supercharger hoes to your air box to see it. A long One foot straight with a 1" end screw driver should be able to reach it.
Just trying to help if you have done all of this before. But A/C will not operator without Freon in them. Just had to bleed air out of my water because somebody before me did not do it.