2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior electrical intermittently doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Question interior electrical intermittently doesn't work

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S convertible. It's been doing a few strange things... First - everything on the exterior appears to be working fine (turn signals, brakes, etc.) but, for instance, when you complete a turn, the turn signal on the INSIDE of the car won't turn off (the outside turns off but the inside keeps clicking away) or sometimes when you put the turn signal on, it doesn't click or light up on the inside, but I can see it's working on the outside. When this is happening, the volume on the radio doesn't adjust and the radio controls on the steering wheel won't work. The rear window defogger also won't come on. If you turn the radio off, it won't come back on until whatever is happening stops happening. The convertible top also won't go back up until you turn the car off and back on. I've taken it to my local Mini repair shop (not a dealer, but a mini/BMW specialty shop) and they said they thought it was the K bus? and one of the components was probably messing up the signals. To find out which one, while it was "misbehaving" they would have to take each component out one by one to see which one was misfiring - but you guessed it -- it won't keep doing it long enough for them to start digging. (of course, as soon as I get a few miles away, it starts (and stops) again. Has anyone had anything like this happen?? Haven't checked with the dealer yet - I've been told it costs money to even put it on the "machine"... Thoughts?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

yes it could be a Bus trouble or communication issue between modules, it would be very pricey to blindly swap modules and hope you get it ...It could be a bad connection/loose plug ect ect

Yes the dealer willcharge to diagnose it but intermittants are hard if they are working they are impossible to troubleshoot but acting up they can be found

Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Default Similar issue

Not sure if it is the same issue but my climate control will do the same thing. It won't turn on until I stop and turn the engine back on. Very random. Haven't had it to my repair guy yet. 04 Cooper s.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Default Air bag, seat belt, auto locks, rear defrost, k-bus, mini next warranty

Since spring so 2011 I've had problems with my 2006 mini. My warranty is good for 100,000 or may, 2012. Note: Radio works at all times listed below.

Spring 2011: Air bag light started to come on and blinkers not working. Mini says its a code default. Mini resets and car works for approx 6 weeks.

Summer 2011: air bag light, blinkers, seat belt lights, auto locks not working properly. Battery starts to die. Mini says it a rodent infiltrate. Mini resets codes. Car works for few weeks.

Early fall 2011. All problems stated above happen again. Battery dies. Mini says need new battery. Battery installed.

Late November: all problems stated above. Rear defrost not working, moon roof not opening, dash lights not working. Appointment made to take car to mini. On day of appointment, car does not start. Car towed to mini.

After two weeks of mini having car, the say it is the K Bus module located behind the radio. Mini states need new radio to solve the K bus prolem. However, Mini Corp states radio is not covered under warranty and cost is $1800.

Mini dealer agrees to cover appox 65% of cost. Im stuck with 35% of cost. I have also asked for copy of buyers guide for mini next warranty. Mini has yet to be able to send me copy.

Anyone have any thoughts? Mini should cover this under warranty.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Default resolution to my original problem

my original problem (that I posted about) turned out to be a bad iPod connection (the thing in the glove box where I would connect my iPod). I know I sound like a total novice (and I am) but you guys who know about these things should understand. When my repair shop but some sort of signal reader on my car, the signal would be all over the place, bouncing up and down. When they disconnected the iPod hookup, the signal was completely flat. connect it back and it would start bouncing again. SO we disconnected the iPod connector. I really hate that, but the other problems were worse. I'll probably eventually end up getting a new radio or something to play my iPod. It never really worked the way it was supposed to anyway. When it was plugged in, the screen went blank and I couldn't use the iPod selector - just had to let it randomly play - with over 6000 songs on my iPod, there was no telling what you'd get. ANYWAY - I haven't had one bit of trouble since then, but I also have no iPod...