2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with the mini dying after start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Default Issues with the mini dying after start

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can help me out with a new issue i'm having.
Yesterday after driving to work, I went to the car at lunch and the car would turn over, rev for one second and then die.
After about an hour of checking connections, hoses, fuses I found nothing. I hooked up my ODB II scanner and that found nothing. I suspected it has something to do with the fuel system so I pulled off the back seat and opened up the pannel for the fuel filter. I ended up not opening it up, but out of frusteration I tapped on the filter and the car sterted. I drove it around a while and then about an hour later, while backing out of a parking stall the car died again. Then it would turn over but wouldn't start. I left the car sitting over night and the next morning
Miraculously the car started right up. Drove it about two miles to work (where I can work on it) and here's where I stand. I did have both copies of the keys and got the same results with both.

Any suggestions on where I should start before I start blowing money and pulling out parts?

I have a 2004 MCS manual transmission

Thanks.

Last edited by BLavin; 12-01-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add car details
Old 12-18-2011, 03:24 PM

My wife had a similar situation with her R52. Her's died on her while driving home from the store. Then it wouldn't restart for about ten minutes. It finally did restart and she got home. I checked codes and got two MAP sensor codes but after unplugging the sensors in question, in various combinations, the condition didn't change. Then I plugged both back in and tried to induce the stall/no-start. the bugger wouldn't stall for about thirty minutes and then restarted immediately. It took about an hour to get the stall/no-start to resurface and then, while cranking, we watched the tach. I suspected the crank sensor and was looking to see if there was anything registering on the tach to demonstrate proper operation of the crank position sensor. There was nothing so I'm in the middle of replacing that sensor in the hopes that this will fix the problem. I should have the sensor tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works! In the meantime, it is something to check on yours.