2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Mini - what PM would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Default My first Mini - what PM would you recommend?

My wife has always adored mini coopers...(and me as well)...so I picked up my first one last night. It's an 05 red mini S with 150,000 miles and a manual transmission for $2k. It needs a little TLC, but overall seems solid and runs/drives great. The previous owner had it for 10,000 miles and so I don't have many records at all. Before I put it on the road and start driving it, what preventative maintenance would you recommend?
- oil and filter change - how fussy are mini's on type of synthetic oil?
- brakes, pads and lines look good
- suspension looks good although one tie rod end has a little slop...no vibrations on the highway, but it seems like two new tie rod end and an alignment would be wise.
- do the transmission have lifetime fluid or should that be changed?
- I know people will likely say flush the brake fluid and the coolant...but how necessary is that really on a $2k car? Convince me it's worth it if the car stops fine and doesn't overheat.
- I don't know anything about superchargers...do they require any maintenance or care?

Thanks. I've been driving VW TDI's for the last decade and people on forums have always been a huge blessing...so thanks, in advance.

crdouger

Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Sounds pretty similar to my story. I paid a lot more though. less miles too though. mine leaks and burns a little oil. Supercharger is supposed to be lifetime but its recommended to change it from time to time. I already added cold air intake, Beckler Header, bigger top mount intercooler, a strut bar and its much better then it was when I bought it but it has issues with predetination and heat sink. oh mine also has a 15% underdrive pulley. fun cars though. best of luck I'm new here as well btw.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 PM

I recommend full synthetic btw. Castrol edge full Syn High mileage is what I use.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:49 AM

On a $2k car changing the fluids is probably the most important thing because the previous owner I'm sure thought the same as you. Why bother on a cheap car. I have been a master tech since the 80's, Brake fluid may be the most underserviced thing on a car. Change it and then change the coolant. Brake fluid absorbs and disperses water over time and rusts the lines and calipers 'from the inside' where you can't see the damage. Coolant becomes acidic over time and does the same thing to the inside of your engine. Remember, if maintenance makes a difference, you waited too long.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Default Hi mileage mini..

Don't know if you have Velocity channel available but Wheeler Dealers did a show 2 wks ago on a 04 RC40. Watch it, take notes and find the best indy foreign repair shop in the area.
might cost $1200 to 1500 but will be best money spent.
Coop (yeah that's my name).

Last edited by Rxcoop; 05-14-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: poor typing