Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Poor Mini!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Exclamation My Poor Mini!!!!

Here is a long story to ask a short question:

2003 Mini Cooper S Sweet Chili Red

OK, so I went to work as usual (rain or shine like everyone else in America, except for DOT maybe) when some heavy rains came through the area. Received a company-wide email saying that one of the parking lots had flooded and if you parked in that area you may want to check on your car. Needless to say, I parked in that area. Of course they sent the email after it had reached it's highest poiint and was receeding, so by the time I got my pant legs rolled-up and slowly waded out to my car, the water line was millimeters from my door seam. I tried not to create a wake with my trek to the car and actually thought I had lucked out. Wrong! I opened my door and saw I had a half an inch of water on my floorboard.....NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I quickly jumped in it to move it from the lake and surprisingly it started up! I pulled it to high ground and kept it running and took an immediate inventory of what I could tell was wrong:

Navigation was a black screen
A/C Controls dead
Back-Hatch would not latch (weird)
Interior lights flickering

But what was really interesting was that when I shut the Mini off the windshield wipers (front and back) and the marker lights came on. Even after I pulled the key and made sure everything was switched off. What the heck? So I decided to just take it home, disconnect the battery and call the insurance company. Only after I got home did I realize I only had lights on the passenger side of the car. Oooppps. I guess that was why the insurance company told me not to drive it. Too late as I was zipping towards home when I called them. Anyway, they are sending a field rep out as soon as possible (they are overwhelmed with Irene claims) so it will be about 6 days before they even get to see it. The flooding happened on Weds,Sept 7 and I checked on it again today, Sat, Sept 11, and it is still wet and when I hooked up the battery it still ran the wipers and marker lights without my help and all the other issues are still there, plus a few other warning lights are now on. But now there is an awful smell inside that permeates everything. I had to change clothes and shower to try and get away from the smell after sitting in it to start it up.

So here is my question: Do you think they will repair it or total it?

I don't know exactly how much water was in it, but if i feel my way down the carpeted sidewalls, it starts feeling wet about an inch from the floor. I am really bummed about this as I had recently had my windows tinted and a custom exhaust installed. Just looking for others who have had similar experiences with flooding and insurance adjusters. I understand I can't hold anyone liable for any information they provide;0)

Last edited by Tandamonium; 09-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Many adjusters will likely total it ... The Long term liability for corrosion/electrical gremlins ect scares them away ... The factory Navi alone is $3k plus add to that the entire carpets ect will need replaced, Add to that electrical harnesses , fuse blocks , relays , computers ect ect plus labor these will quickly add up to over the cost of the cars book value

Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Many adjusters will likely total it ... The Long term liability for corrosion/electrical gremlins ect scares them away ... The factory Navi alone is $3k plus add to that the entire carpets ect will need replaced, Add to that electrical harnesses , fuse blocks , relays , computers ect ect plus labor these will quickly add up to over the cost of the cars book value

Thanks b-venge, that makes sense. Although I hate to lose the old girl and it is not worth me buying back and repairing as a salvage because I didn't even know where the battery was to pull the terminals on that awful day...sigh. Guess I'll start looking at replacement options in preparation. Atleast she was paid off