2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel cupping

Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Default Rear wheel cupping

I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion for my problem.

I am a grad student with a 2004 Mini Cooper S (109,000 miles)and I have been having a problem with the inner part of the rear tire showing excessive wear. From what I have read in the Bentley manual, the tire is cupping.

I have replaced the rear shock absorber about 8 months ago, I have also replaced the 4 rear control arms after i had a double failure on the interstate at 70 mph, with after market control arms.

I was then hit about a week later by a women drinking a coffee. The car was parked on the street, and she was taking a sip....and turned right into my car. As a result, $4800 worth of damage was done to the left rear.

Since all this, i have gone thru 2 sets for tire (16,000 miles, all highway) from tirerack because the inner part of the tire is wearing out. Any thoughts why?

I have had the alignment checked by two different shops and they claim it is accurate.

What should i do next, tires are expensive!!!

Thanks,

Mark Bates

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like alignment/toe in troubles , have you tried rotating them more often

Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 AM

I have rotated the tires at every oil change. and the toe and chamber is within the specs given in the Bentley manual. I have been told that i may be running to much air in the tires. So, I will check the tire pressure and adjust the pressure if necessary.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 AM

I agree with you having all that kinds of repair is really expensive especially if you're planning to replace a new set of tires. Why don't you just double check the alignment, shock absorber and pressure of tires before replacing or trade it with 2nd hand tires, it is much cheaper.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Default Mini Cooper Tire cupping

My experienced in the rear tire cupping of my Mini Cooper S 04 has something to do with rear Sway bar linkage bushing...once you replaced them it will stabilize the tire in the pavement. I suggest also replace the bushing at the front sway bar and linkage bushing..

Search this Thread