2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy an R53. Heard some negatives. Want opinions.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Default Want to buy an R53. Heard some negatives. Want opinions.

So I've heard that these suckers can be really expensive to work on. Can I get some feedback from those of you that have/do own them. What do you love about it? What drives you crazy? Please nitpick it, so I won't have to after the purchase. No car is perfect, and I love the style of these. I'm considering 2004 - 2006 S model. Are the automatics undriveable? What features are must-have? Thank you in advance. -Casey

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

I've had mine since 05 with 95k miles on the clock
repairs to date front brakes and rear brakes, and one power steering pump and fan (they use an electric power steering pump) these are pricey to buy new but there is a company that remanufactures them and offer a lifetime warranty

I don't buy the 15k oil change interval and change every 5k

The Automatic tranny is UBER expensive to repair if it fails ($3k/$5k rebuild /reman $8k new )

The 6 speeds are reliable and clutch is not that bad to replace
I found the stock mini clutch kit for $250/$300 and an independant shop that quoted $350 labor (checked for my reference)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Thank you so much for this response. It is great ammo to use against a purchase that I have no justification for. One last question, if I may. Are there any specific years to stay away from? I know most car models have years that were less than stellar. Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM

I brought a Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works here in the UK, 43K on the clock, and paid £4300 for it, the guy had it advertised for £5700 but after three months and no takers, he agreed the price.... and I should at the time have wondered why!!

I drove 5 miles before the smell you get when the Head Gaskets gone caught my nose!

I stopped straight away, I checked the dipstick, clean oil (just had a service) so I waited a couple of hours for it to completely go cold, then used supermarket cheap as chips water to fill it as it was empty in the expansion tank, and drove home after taking some advice about driving it

It was a bitterly cold day in November and was minus 1 (not cold for you chaps lol) so I drove it home, kept an eye on the water and the oil, had the heating on full to disperse heat, and got back no problems

Had it diagnosed at the garage around from where I work, Head Gasket, £1200.00 to do it!!

Someone mentioned that the expansion tanks are prone to leaks, caps dont fit properly, so I took it to the Cooper Works garage 5 miles from me to let them take a look, and I am happy I did!!

These guys are the old mechanics from the now defunct Cooper Works Garage these are the guys that did my mini originally off the factory line as I have the Super Charger, not the turbo

£225.00 later, and an engine flush, new oil, new expansion tank and cap, good as new!!

In retrospect I got a bargain, could have been a LOT worse, and I think the guy thought the head had gone, a price reduction like that?? A policeman too!! Who do you trust!!

I love the car, 210 BHP and when I have the money in the summer, those guys are going to do my £1500 work to make it a 240 BHP, I cant wait!

My cars lovely, I have had the pleasure of driving some really sporty cars, Mazda RX8, Celica GT, Celica 190, Audi TT, this is by far the quickest thing I have ever driven, and I am 48 in a few months!!!

There are lots of things that COULD go wrong on any car, I hate automatics, I like to drive!! Plus as mention, when they go wrong, its usually a high bill to pay!

Take a chance, look it over, do the usual checks, try to ensure its got plenty of history with it, check whats been done to it recently, hopefully you will be as lucky as me

Chris

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Default Don't Walk....

Run! Run in the other direction!! Unless you enjoy spending money ceaselessly to repair your vehicle. If that is the case, then yes, a Mini Cooper S (R53) is the vehicle for you. All I hvae ever had to do with mine is repair, repair, repair.

A puddle destroyed the cheap robotic weld around the exhaust collector just before the cat. Good thing my step-son welds for a living.

The brake pads need replacing about every 6 months, front and back.

The harmonic balancer completely crapped out, leaving me stranded on the roadside.

The computer that runs the vehicle had a P2096 code that was earent and could only be wiped out by a Mini Cooper dealership. No. The computer is NOT always right. Ulimately even the dealer service shop admitted that there was nothing wrong and they did not know why the code was being set. Great, great. Try and pass emissions with a "Check Engine" light that is on erroneously!!

And let's not forget the timing belt tensioner that also crapped out.

I purchased this vehicle because I thought BMW could be trusted to make a quality vehicle. I was dead WRONG. This vehicle is junk. I am going to try and get rid of this piece of crap as soon as I can.

If you like your money, run the other way!! DO NOT PURCHASE ONE OF THESE!!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Eighteenecho,
Which year/make/model are you having problems with? Automatic/manual? Have you heard that these are common problems, or is your horror story unique? Everywhere I have gone while researching these I see nothing but gushing fanboyism. People are absolutely in love with these cars!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Default Unique or not??

Here is the data: 2006 Mini Cooper S/ 6 speed manual/ sunroof

Any more specific data one would have to ask for and I can research it, but above is what is pertinent to me. That and what I wrote earlier. Upon reflection, me being 52 yrs and this not being my first auto, this Mini Cooper S IS the worst piece of of most undependable crap I've ever owned. All it does it break down. Am I out racing on weekends and whatnot? No. Just a simple commuter that would like a car to not breakdown every other month!

Trust me, as soon as this junk is paid off I am going to pitch it ASAP. All things being equal, I should have just kept my Nissan pickup, sure it got lousy gas mileage, but the engine never crapped out on me, the exhaust system was never destroyed by a puddle!! It's computer never had a earent fault that only a dealer could absolve!

I maintain what I said. DO NOT PURCHASE ONE OF THESE UNLESS YOU ENJOY VISITING YOUR MECHANIC OFTEN.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM

So when you "PITCH" your piece of junk, obviously you will be honest to the person that buys it?

You will tell them they will have huge repair bills every other month, that its a **** car and that's the reason your selling it

Because if not, its people like YOU that take money from people like ME and then hide behind the SOLD AS SEEN BOLLOCKS that so many of us have heard

I was LUCKY, there are plenty of other people who aren't so lucky, and haven't got the sort of money to chuck at a car..... so lets hope your one of the HONEST ones.....

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Default Questioning honesty?

Now, now... The fact that I'm proudly labelling myself as my former 18E status in order to warn others spedifically looking to purchase one of these abominations should be evidence enough that I relish the opportunity to speak truthfully about this thing at any opportunity. Now, how do I expect to successfully rid myself of this thing after telling someone what junk it is?? To be honest I have not thought that far ahead yet. But I suppose the scrap metal dealer will not care!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

there is no way in hell you should replave the brakes ever 6 months ... You either have a hack replacing them or don't know how to drive... I got 75K out of the fronts and 90k out of the rear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to buy an R53. Heard some negatives. Want opinions.