Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

F56 Head Unit Upgrade Help - 2015 Cooper Base S 2 Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Question F56 Head Unit Upgrade Help - 2015 Cooper Base S 2 Door

I am attempting to upgrade the head unit in my car but am having troubles finding any answers. I want to upgrade to a Double DIN that supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto, however, due to the oil dipstick being digital and tied to the stock head unit I have no idea how to keep this functional on any new 3rd party head units. Ideally I would like to remove the stock head unit from the car entirely but from everything I have read so far it almost seems like this is not possible. If I have to, is there any way to split the connection and put the stock head unit in my glovebox or something so that I can still run the system diags or am I basically stuck doing a bluetooth bypass straight to my amp? Thank you all in advance for any help with getting this figured out!

Edit: Just in case someone stumbles across this thread looking for info on CarPlay/AndroidAuto head unit replacements in an F56 like I did, here is some info on it. If you have a stock system with NO form of navigation on the head unit, just give up now or trade in your car for one with navigation. The closest you will ever get is a Bluetooth bypass and a phone mount for your dash/windshield. This is still technically possible but the average cost to do it is 3k-5k USD. The reason is because you are building the OEM Mini navigation head unit from scratch to then need to do the below steps. So basically there is no reason to even attempt this unless you like to throw away money. If you have either of the 2 options for the navigation then you're in luck. Unfortunately I don't have any links anymore, but there are some devices you can buy that highjack the signal from you head unit to overlay CarPlay/AndroidAuto onto the stock head unit. There is no way to replace the head unit with anything that isn't Mini OEM. This highjacking box also will require you to get creative inside of your dash with space as there is virtually zero available space inside of the dash to install this. It also seems to but be touch compatible so you will also have to install contains somewhere in your car but typically under your e-brake as that is one of the few spots with any space. Mini is custom built to spec so it is as tight as it can be when it comes to space usage. This will cost around 500-1000 USD on average just in parts because the highjacking boxes are hard to find in the States. If you attempt this then godspeed my friend! This is just what I have come to understand from my research. If you happen to learn anything differently and succeed, please let me know so that I may attempt it as well. Hahaha.

Last edited by TDAdvocate; 05-14-2021 at 06:20 PM.