Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can Vertical/Scissor/Lambo door kits be the answer??

  #1  
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Default can Vertical/Scissor/Lambo door kits be the answer??

I have a 2003 S (R53 I think?), lately I have been getting frustrated with the door action when parking in semi tight spots in a parking lot: the doors are gigantic, and the points at which the door wants to rest are useless...either too narrow to get out (even with my small frame~145 lbs) or so far that it hits the car next to me. This requires me to put it in the narrow position and sort of squeeze out (think ace ventura 2 rhino scene lol) which doesnt look very good and is very awkward if holding something like a breifcase etc. sorry to rant just trying to paint a picture. anyway I figure a possible solution would be to implement some sort of vertical/gullwing door kit.

I did some research into vertical door kits for mini's, but a specific mini bolt on kit is around 1600$$ which i think is ridiculous. There are generic bolt-on kits available as well for around $250-600 but I am afraid they wont work very well or last very long, and some require a body shop to weld the mechanism to the frame (extra scary and expensive). I am a college student so i dont have too much money to throw around....

any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated!!
 
  #2  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,309
Default

Lambo doors are you get what you pay for the universal kits are garbage and will fail in no time...

The Diablo Factory and Verticle Door Kits are great quality ... They will outperform and are easier to install/remove since they don't require welding

I personally hate both and have installed 50+ kits , 95% were brought to the shop to be removed and the other 5% are show cars
 
  #3  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Default

What was the reason most of them had it removed??
 
  #4  
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,309
Default

Truthfully they are a pain in the butt ... they are great for show cars but daily drivers they get old fast ...
reasons for removals :
strut failure they blow and you can't get the door open ($100s to replace)
can't use in parking garages (no height clearance)
poor sealing/closure (wind noise ect)
most were "I hate these things"
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
xeroes
General Mini Cooper Talk
1
08-10-2008 02:12 AM
skyyhyub
Intake, Headers and Exhaust
2
06-16-2008 10:54 PM
Brianbeson
Suspension
1
12-29-2006 09:28 AM
MINIMAV777
2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
3
10-07-2006 11:53 PM
jgiav
New Member Area
5
10-15-2005 11:24 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can Vertical/Scissor/Lambo door kits be the answer??


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.