General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considerin' a Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Default Considerin' a Mini...

So, don't get me wrong, I love my 2001 Mustang Cobra, but when the local gas started sending me birthday cards I began to evaluate just how much in love with it I really am. I've been evaluating, researching, and test driving a number of more fuel efficient, more practical, more grown up cars, but I'll be darned if the Mini doesn't keep popping up on my list. Before I shlep 90 minutes to my 'local' Mini dealer for some hands on experience, I was hoping you folks could answer a few questions for me. My first concern is my size, I'm not gargantuan by any means, 6'00, 240 lbs, but it is an awfully small car, as the name implies, and I'm curious if it will be a comfortable ride. The back seat, in my mustang it is strictly an ornamental piece, good for a couple bags of groceries or a child under seven, but I have heard allegations that one can actually fit a pair of adults in a Mini's back seat without the use of a shoe horn or lubricant, can anyone confirm this, or like the video of a tennis ball popping a car lock is this so much bunk? Finally, I have heard dark and sinister rumors that after about 20,000 miles or so a Mini will begin to rattle. Has anyone had this experience?
Any input you have would be appreciated, I'm probably a few weeks away from my first Mini test drive, but want to be as well armed, information-wise, as possible.
Thanks,
Todd
Port Orange, FL

Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Considerin' a Mini...

Hey!

Ok, as for your size... no problem. The front passenger area on the MINI is actually bigger than a lot of cars. I know a guy that's 6'7" and comfortably pilots his. The back seats however, I don't think are going to be any bigger than your Mustang.

Um, the '07's probably won't rattle. 06 and below might, mine has a rattle in the door handle but it's nothing major. My first MINI had no rattles. It's kind of a hit or miss situation. MINI is usually pretty good at fixing rattles under waranty too.

Lastly... go drive one! You'll fall in love with it and have to buy one.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Well, where do I begin.
I loved my Toyota FJCruiser, but just not the average 16 mpg.
I kept on seeing MINI and really it kept coming back as one of my choices.
I bought mine 8/31/2007, and have been extremely impressed.
I am 6 ft 190ish and find there is plenty of room, and passengers never complain.
The back seats, to be honest are great for brief cases, etc.
Don't get me wrong but there is lots of cargo space, but not alot of leg room back there.
A child maybe, but I don't think so for adults, even though my wife sat back there during the test drive.
Not for a long trip I would not think so sitting back there.
The two from seats, I would not hesitate driving an easy 300 miles or more at a clip.
I have the convertible so that probably makes it tighter in the back to be honest.
The engine compartment and all is a marvel of engineering. The MINI rides like a dream.
It feels like it will be solid for many many many miles. After all it is engineered by BMW. Right?

Small car it is, but with plenty of power (get the 6 speed S model), but solid engineering.
Only you will know if you will be happy. Test drive it. I think you will find it a blast to drive.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM

The two from seats, I would not hesitate driving an easy 300 miles or more at a clip.
I've done three NY - California trips in mine each in two days, 1500 miles at a time.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks folks, I guess it will all come down to the drive, and I've cleared my agenda for Thursday to make the trek to Orlando to make that happen, wish me luck <G>

Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Test drove a Cooper S this afternoon, and while I held it together well enough not to pull the mustang's title out of my pocket and sign it over to them, it is no longer a matter of if I get one, but when. Have to see if i can get a better finance rate through my own bank than the 7.5% they offered me. My Beacon's over 750 and I'm buying a new car, seems like they could do better, but oh well, Anyone want to buy a mustang?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Hahaha, awesome! BMW rates do suck, you can probably do better.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 AM

Well, I'm done considerin'. There is now a Laser Blue 2007 Mini sitting out in my garage <G>

Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 AM

Congrats!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

We just returned for a 400 M trip with our 07 S. ( just over 2500M on the girl) We got 39.8 MPH and stayed around 77 MPH.

What a great car! You will love it