General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible or hardtop?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Default convertible or hardtop?

My current car is an Acura CL and it gets about 34mpg. I am having a hard time letting it go. As I approach the 200k mark, I am getting more serious at checking out potential replacements. Well, I was bitten by the mini bug back in January.I have built and built, and test driven. Since the diesel is not available in the US I'm going to have to choose between the hardtop or convertible. My dealer is going to let me test drive each car for a 24 hour period so that I can make an informed choice.

My free spirit and the Austin weather tells me convertible but will I love it if I have to ride with the top up? I'm just curious what other owners think.

Missy

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Default RE: convertible or hardtop?

Here is the deal... The 2008 convertible is the old body style, and the headlights are still attached to the bonnet I believe. It has the better JCW kit available (30 HP gain), and this one is still done at the factory not at the dealer, but the actual motor is inferior to the other current Mini models available. It also has the old style interior gauges still available as well. Both the body style and the engine will all change to the current styles in 2009 though, so you need to make your decision about what you want right now actually.

Ohh, it also still comes with the Harman Kardan stereo available too.

The only drawback of the convertible that I saw (Besides it having the older style engine), was that the visibility and blind spots are just terrible no matter if the top is up or down. But it does look really cool with all of the colored top options, so that kinda makes up for the bad visibility IMHO.

This comes down to what is more important to you. Do you want the better factory installed JCW package on the crappier engine, and with the older body style, or do you want a 2009 convertible that has the better engine, new body style, and crappier JCW package that is installed at the dealership.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Default RE: convertible or hardtop?

My 2008 Mini S JCW is getting 38.64 MPG (Mostly HWY miles).