General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone experienced stiff/hard shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Default has anyone experienced stiff/hard shifting?

Has anyone out there experienced stiff/hard shifting with your MINI? I have parked my Cooper S on my driveway for the past 60 days on my driveway. Temperatures haven't been very cold. Last week when i took it out for a drive I noticed the gear shift was a little hard to shift-as if it needed oil or lubrication. It was even stiffer by the end of my hour long drive. I was concerned it may be a tranny problem and asked an auto parts employee when buying oil, and he said it's not a tranny problem but just needs gear oil. I have driven stick all my life and have never experienced a stiff shifter. I don't see any puddles of fluid on my driveway as I thought maybe my tranny fuid leaked out. I a had a little front end bender during the winter, but it just seems cosmetic, cracking/damaging the front driver skirt. I don't think the tranny could have been damaged could it???

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Default RE: has anyone experienced stiff/hard shifting?

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that the manual tranny is a sealed unit. This means that the only way to lose the lube is to have it leak out. I do not think you can burn it.

Ihave not experienced any stiff shifting yet, but it might be due to a clutch issue, rather than a tranny issue. I would take it in to have it checked out, but that is just me.

If it is an automatic tranny, I do not know what to tell you.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reply/feedback froglips. I appreciate it. Hopefully you or anyone else will NOT ever have to experience this! It concerns me though about the posts about the S's tranny problems from 2002-2004 models!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 AM

Just to be analy correct here , I beleive that the posts you speak of are actually referring to the clutches wearing out really fast (Within 30k miles or so sometimes), rather than there being a problem with the actual trannies. I am pretty sure the trannies are rock solid, or that is what I hear anyways.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Default Stiff shifter

yes I am experiencing the same problem with my 2012 Mini with 86,000 miles .
i am concerned because it just came off of extended warranty in February and I want to sell it before it needs more repairs. Also it seems to be going through a lot of oil but it’s definitely not leaking.