General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage carrier

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Default Luggage carrier

Well....... I'm not only new to this site but also a new Mini owner. I've been researching and looking for quite some time. Found a deal on a 2009 Mini Cooper S hatchback with 30k miles I couldn't pass up. Main reason for the purchase is to take a 21 day trip from Ohio across America visiting some places with the kids, then as a work car when we get back due to the great gas mileage and my distance from work.

Anywho! With 4 of us squeezing into this little red devil to travel 5,000 miles I need to add some cargo carrying abilities. I purchased the roof rocks and waiting for them to arrive. I am diligently searching for a rooftop carrier (used) that will have the look and price I am comfortable with.

Now on to my need for help.

Looking at the tow hitches they seem to all come with a 1 1/4" receiver. I am planning on getting a luggage basket / cargo carrier to add onto the rear hitch and all I have seen need a 2" receiver. Now I have seen the adapter you can get but that will only extend the carrier even further from the vehicle. I do not plan on opening the rear hatch while on the trip as the only thing in the back will be snacks and drinks for the trip. I want an aluminum one and most I have seen that are aluminum are bolted to a steel 2" tube used for the insert. I can weld and modify at a moderate level but working 60 hours a week to save for the trip in June don't leave much time to play engineer. I can easily add lights and a license plate holder on the carrier which is not an issue. I need to relocate them because I am mounting a big weather proof cargo box into it with locks that will cover up the license plate. (I have seen the $750 premade deals......)

So...... Question is: Any thoughts on how to easily accomplish this task? Anyone done anything other than use the adapter? I don't want to use the adapter because the tongue weight of the hitch added to the Mini is 200lbs, the further away you take it from the vehicle the less weight you can add (physics), plus keeping it closer to the bumper will just look cleaner in my mind.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Opinions (other than the adapter (lol)
Comments?

Jim

Last edited by Jwstoops; 03-15-2017 at 05:53 PM.