General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini oil pan gasket/ drain plug problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Default Mini oil pan gasket/ drain plug problems

I need some Mini help guys. My girl has an 04 Cooper S with 70K miles. I had searched earlier because she had the oil drain plug strip issue. The dealer fixed the problem for her no charge because she had just purchased the car. I had an E46 BMW so I know a few BMW/ Mini shops around. I asked them about it. Now they werent my usaul guy because like most Bimmer shops they give me the laundry list of all the things wrong with car and the world will end if I dont fix them now. So I used them when it was something either myself or my tech couldnt do or figure out. They tell me the Mini plug starts to leak because it has a rubber gasket and the more its tightened it begins to strip the threads. So to fix this they figured out a mercedes plug that fits which has a brass gasket and problem solved. So we go back to day to have this plug put in and an oil change. They tell me its the oil pan gasket. Now I had my guy at his shop look at it before taking it to the Mini shop and he says its for sure the drain plug that he can see. I also know the oil pan and gasket was completely replaced at a Mini dealer about 18 months ago. My question if you've hung on till now is, is the oil pan gasket a weak spot on the mini ? I'm already leery of this shop and now I'm really leery. I know all cars have there quirks especially German cars. I baby that mini though and stay knowledgable about the maintenance. Any one have any suggestions. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM

am i the only one on this forum?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Default oil pan gasket leak

I was told by a MINI dealer's service group that I had a slow leak from my oil pan gasket. That the replacement for this part requires substantial labor (think, pulling the engine) and the cost would be around $800.

I have about 25K miles on my 2005 MINI Cooper S. The gasket failing at this point, as well as the extreme service required to replace it, is troubling.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by texmedic
am i the only one on this forum?

Tex,

The part you are referring to typically gets replaced at a dealer oil service. As far as stripping... A technician really has to get obnoxious with the torque or (more likely) has cross threaded the oil drain bolt at some point. This has probably compromised the threads. The dealer may have chased the threads with a tap in order to get to bolt to run back in, but it may leak oil around the damaged threads.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by DonBeacom
I was told by a MINI dealer's service group that I had a slow leak from my oil pan gasket. That the replacement for this part requires substantial labor (think, pulling the engine) and the cost would be around $800.

I have about 25K miles on my 2005 MINI Cooper S. The gasket failing at this point, as well as the extreme service required to replace it, is troubling.

Don,

If the bill is only $800, then I can assure you that they are not pulling the entire engine. They will however, have to remove the front subframe assembly, lower stabilizer mount, and remove the a/c compressor mounting bolts. This is alot of work, and while it can be done quickly by a Technician who has done it before, it would be very difficult without a lift.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Default $1500 Oil Change

My 2002 MCS was due for the 100,000 oil change and inspection. First the dealer found the pan gasket leak and then stripped the drain plug bolt threads. The bill came to $1,454.18. I am so happy...