General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The problem with run-flat tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Default The problem with run-flat tires.

What IS the problem with run-flats? Why do some people dislike them?

They seem fine to me, but I've only been driving on them for 3 weeks

They would seem essential on an S model with no spare tire.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

COST is the biggest complaint , wait till you have to replace them .Also lack of tread life my stockers were near bald at 18K , the conventional I got have 32K and still have 1/2 tread...

Ride quality and handling is definately poor compared to conventional tires...

extra weight of the tires ...

I've been running no spare for 32K I carry a patch /plug kit , air compressor can of fix a flat and a AAA Card

Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Thank you for that answer. I imagine I'll do the same thing, drive on the original tires until they wear out, then replace them with conventional tires and carry a flat kit and a compressor.

I took "Jessie" (my daughter named the car) out on I-35 last night between Kansas City and Ottawa Ks. What a lot of noise she makes! A very low-pitched rumble. It was the tires; sometimes I would hit smooth patches and the noise would quit.

I still love the car, but that much noise on a long trip would get rather annoying.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

rumbles check the inside for uneven wear ///

Old 09-20-2009, 05:15 AM

MINI made a poor choice when selecting Bridgestone and Pirelli tires as OE. They both make a poorly riding/driving/wearing runflat tire.

Our dealer has had significantly better results with the Continental run flat tires that were OE on some MINIs. They are cheaper, ride better, and last longer than the Pirellis or the Bridgestones.

As Bad Venge has said, inner edge tire wear is a significant problem leading to tread seperation and noise. After replacing your tires (if necessary) I would have the vehicle aligned, as excessive negative camber or improper toe settings can cause accellerated inner edge wear.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM

I needed to replace my original Dunlops at 23,000 miles. My tire dealer recommended I stick with run flats, as he had other Mini owners who went to conventional tires but lost a lot of the handling characteristics and feel of the road. Went with a set of Kumho run flats. They have a bit of a stiffer ride, but after about 4,000 miles, no complaints.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Default run-flat discussion

Whether or not to replace the OEM run-flats with the same or another brand, I would think would be a function of how you use your ride.
If you use it to commute to work, the wife or gf (or both, lol) use it to run errands especially at night, then I would suggest the run-flats...
If you want more of a great handling and smoother ride, I would consider losing the run-flats and enrolling in AAA road service.
JMHO

Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a car that doesn't have RFTs or a spare... RFT's can get you where you need to go. Imagine running late for work and running over some nails or debris that puncture your tire, you can still get to work on the RFT and call BMW/MINI roadside assistance to come pickup the car from your workplace-- then have the dealer drop it off when they're done.

As opposed to calling your ***** boss to explain why you're late, waiting 3 hours for AAA, etc

Old 09-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Default ^^^^^^^^

I agree!
My wife has a swing shift job and she is often driving home after midnight. I'm not comfortable with the idea of her stuck on the side of the road at that hour, especially in the "nice" car...lol