General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Mini Cooper Sport smoking at long idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Default 2007 Mini Cooper Sport smoking at long idle?

My Mini will smoke after a several minute idle, ive checked turbo oil drain line and its open and not clogged also checked pcv valve and it seems to be working, Car doesnt smoke whole driving and has to set and idle to smoke, the longer it sets the worse it smokes, exhaust side of turbo is white and chalky, inlet side had a very very small amount of oil. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Hey Glenn - i am new member to this forum and i have the same issue with 2010 S JCW. i am a little disappointed that nobody has responded to your post.... kinda sucks... Were you able to correct the problem? What was the issue and fix?

i just started researching the issue. Typically three colors of smoke. White equals a water issue such as bad head gasket/crack in the block/crack in cylinder head. Black smoke indicates fuel issue such as leaking fuel injector/stuck fuel regulator/restricted fuel return. Blue smoke indicates oil burning issue such as valves/piston rings/cylinder wall/ PCV

If you had to replace the head gasket... i am curious what else would be recommended since top half of engine is off. Timing Chain? of course all gaskets/seals. what about performance upgrades such as big bore kit this is my wifes cooper and although it is fun to drive... i wouldn't mind big bore kit/cam/head work.